Name that cake



Jun 23, 2017
Reaction score
Hi all,

would anyone be able to tell me what this cake is called? It was almost like a chocolate covered sponge but I can find no pictures like it when I search for sponge. Please help!
Google “Mississippi Mudslide Cake”. I can’t say for sure from a blurry photo, but a dark chocolate with white icing is a telltale sign of a Mississippi Mudslide Cake. Some times called a Mississippi Mud Cake, but that version is made as a sheet cake with a rocky road like topping.

They don’t have to have the white icing. They were very popular as the chocolate layer cake in event cakes about 5 yrs ago among event cake bakers who worked from home based kitchens. They are usually oil based cakes, made with dutched processed cocoa powder and some powdered espresso powder to kick up the chocolate flavor.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question