Need a recipe that can be easily manipulated

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old celiac daughter who loves baking. She is inspired by out of this world creations on cooking shows and we are having some challenges finding some equivalent gluten free ones. She would like to find a recipe that can be easily manipulated and tasty that is of course gluten free. Pastry has always been a challenge in our house. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old celiac daughter who loves baking. She is inspired by out of this world creations on cooking shows and we are having some challenges finding some equivalent gluten free ones. She would like to find a recipe that can be easily manipulated and tasty that is of course gluten free. Pastry has always been a challenge in our house. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately there is not such dough. The best gf baking cookbooks though I think are America’s Test Kitchen and Patisserie Gluten Free by Patricia Austin. Austin’s book has the kind of recipes that would be on a cooking show. She is a professionally trained pastry chef who used to work for Pierre Hermes. If you are not familiar with pastry rock stars, Hermes has long been considered the greatest pastry chef in the world.

Reaction score

I had a job as pastry chef at sky restaurant in Norwood MA, they wanted a line of GF pastry along with the regular menu.
Its a pain in the rear but possible, it will not match what you see on tv in many cases.
You can make GF pastry cream just by using cornstarch as the binder.
Eclair or choux paste actually works very nicely when made with rice flour instead of wheat flour.

for cakes I mixed up various flours such as rice flour, potato flour, tapioca, xantham gum (be very careful with this one) to make GF flour.

It couldn't make tart shell crust because it falls apart, my solution was to bake eclair puffs using the rice flour, split the puff into 2 halves and use the halves as tart shells, if they are too round to sit up without rolling around just dip the bottom in melted choc and place on paper to set, that forms a stable base.

Molded mousse cakes were very popular, bavarois with fruit and whipped cream on top.
Panna cotta, creme broule etc. cheesecake.

Let me know which pastry you want to emulate in particular.

Ask a Question