Need Advice - Adding Nuts to Steamed Fruit Cake

Reaction score
Hi, I have this old recipe for a steamed fruitcake which is often made in Malaysia for festivals. It is a very moist fruit cake. I recently had a version that also had in it. I wanted to replicate this fruit and nut cake by adding 100-150g of cashews to the existing recipe. I am also thinking of adding other nuts such as almonds and walnuts. However, I am afraid it will change the texture of the cake.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The existing recipe is as follows:

STEAMED FRUIT CAKE

Batch A

600g all purpose flour

4 tsp cream of tartar

2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)

300g mixed fruit

Batch B

450g margarine

225g sugar (blended into powder)

5 eggs

3 tsp vanilla essence

Batch C

225g coarse sugar

Method
  • Mix Batch A and set aside.
  • Mix margarine and sugar in a separate container till mixture turns light.
  • Add in the eggs, one by one .
  • Add in the vanilla essence.
  • Add Batch A to the mixture.
  • Melt the coarse sugar (Batch C) in a pan. Once it starts boiling, turn off the heat and IMMEDIATELY add it to the main mixture and mix well.
  • Pour mixture into an 8-inch round deep pan. A 9-inch pan can also be used but it won't be as deep.
  • Cover the pan with aluminum foil, tied tightly with a string.
  • Steam it for 4 hrs and 15 mins. (Make sure the steamer already has boiling water in it).

Reaction score
Hi, I have this old recipe for a steamed fruitcake which is often made in Malaysia for festivals. It is a very moist fruit cake. I recently had a version that also had in it. I wanted to replicate this fruit and nut cake by adding 100-150g of cashews to the existing recipe. I am also thinking of adding other nuts such as almonds and walnuts. However, I am afraid it will change the texture of the cake.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The existing recipe is as follows:

STEAMED FRUIT CAKE

Batch A

600g all purpose flour

4 tsp cream of tartar

2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)

300g mixed fruit

Batch B

450g margarine

225g sugar (blended into powder)

5 eggs

3 tsp vanilla essence

Batch C

225g coarse sugar

Method
  • Mix Batch A and set aside.
  • Mix margarine and sugar in a separate container till mixture turns light.
  • Add in the eggs, one by one .
  • Add in the vanilla essence.
  • Add Batch A to the mixture.
  • Melt the coarse sugar (Batch C) in a pan. Once it starts boiling, turn off the heat and IMMEDIATELY add it to the main mixture and mix well.
  • Pour mixture into an 8-inch round deep pan. A 9-inch pan can also be used but it won't be as deep.
  • Cover the pan with aluminum foil, tied tightly with a string.
  • Steam it for 4 hrs and 15 mins. (Make sure the steamer already has boiling water in it).

Steamed fruit and nut cake is a very old style cake from England and was popular in US as well. You should be able to add nuts to the cake with no problem. You can soak the nuts in some room or other spirits if you like. Then add them to the cake. You can toss them in some flour to coat before adding to the batter. To get an idea of how to add them to a cake, Google for a steamed pecan cake.

Reaction score
Steamed fruit and nut cake is a very old style cake from England and was popular in US as well. You should be able to add nuts to the cake with no problem. You can soak the nuts in some room or other spirits if you like. Then add them to the cake. You can toss them in some flour to coat before adding to the batter. To get an idea of how to add them to a cake, Google for a steamed pecan cake.

Thank you for your advice. I will add maybe 50g each of cashew, almond and walnut to the mixture.

I am not able to soak them in rum or other spirits though, as we don't take alcohol. I am thinking of using orange or grape juice instead.

Thanks, once again.

Ask a Question