Need Birthday Cake Ideas Please

Reaction score
It is my daughter's 7th birthday. She is so excited and she wants mommy to bake her a cake. I am at a lost for what type of cake to make her.

She is not into chocolate at all so that is out. I am looking for an interesting cake recipe that will really wow a 7 year old. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
My husband and I made a castle cake last year for our daughter. Basic cake,whatever flavour you want. Icecream cones for turrets,choc rolls(or the jam and cream ones) for corners,choc fingers or pink wafers for doors and windows and the random sweet dotted round the outside. You could add flags etc too. We had fun making it and Katie loved it.Put in castle cake on your computir and you will see the variations.

Reaction score
My sister and I did a Barbie doll cake for my neice. We took a Barbie and covered the Barbie's lower half in aluminum. We then made a layered circle cake and put the Barbie inside so the cake covered her to her stomach. We then decorated the cake which was now Barbie's princess dress. (Barbie in the middle and her dress all around her like a big ball gown.) We used pink and purple icing to color the dress (her favorite colors) and used white icing to look like lace around the dress. We also bought edible flower decoartions to add to the dress-but you could decorate the dress with candies like skittles or m&m's ect.

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of a kid who doesn't like chocolate!

I would probably play it safe and stick with vanilla cake and frosting, but to make things more festive, do the cake in multiple layers and tint the batter for each one a different color - so it's some fun color harmony or a rainbow cake. Then you can put some white frosting and rainbow sprinkles or other embellishments.

Or perhaps do a vanilla layer cake, then spread something like lemon curd or some other preserves in between the layers before frosting the whole thing. Maybe a cream cheese frosting to offset the tanginess from the filling.

Do you happen to know if she is cool with carrot cake? That is another one I always loved as a kid.

Reaction score
I second a rainbow cake. They look gorgeous! What kinds of things does your daughter like? Any specific characters or animals? That would help me suggest some other ideas.

Attachments

• rainbow-cake-1.jpg
    rainbow-cake-1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 538
Reaction score
I would go for a vanilla cake with a cute, colorful design on top. I also like @Bella 's post of the rainbow cake. I agree that your 7-year old daughter will love it.

I hope she has a wonderful birthday party! Good luck baking it!

Reaction score
I made my daughter a tie dye cake. I made a plain vanilla cake and then separated it into five different bowls and used food coloring to make them different colors. I then just poured the different colors on top of each other and swirled it around. I frosted it with neon green and candles. It was such a delight to see her face when we cut into it and it was all different colors. She loved it.

Reaction score
For a kid's party, I recommend cupcakes (as well as maybe cake) Cupcakes are much easier and cake somehow also gets made a mess of at kids parties.

Reaction score
Even if your daughter doesn't like chocolate there are still so many flavors of cake you can make her. Does she like spongy, fluffy Angel's Food cake? Would she like something like a carrot cake? You could buy vanilla cake and add strawberries inside or add orange, cinnamon, almond, or coconut extracts to dress up the flavor. Even a plain vanilla cake is more fun when the top is decorated with candy. Find out what flavors she DOES like, and have fun with it! That's what birthday cake is all about!

Ask a Question