Need feedback on Cake and Icing Shortening by CK

Reaction score
I am looking for an alternative to the NEW Sweetex... something that WORKS, I need stability in my icing (I live in Florida) and would love to make an icing that is highly palatable, Good taste is and mouthfeel are really important = )

Reaction score
I am looking for an alternative to the NEW Sweetex... something that WORKS, I need stability in my icing (I live in Florida) and would love to make an icing that is highly palatable, Good taste is and mouthfeel are really important = )

1. CK shortening is SweeTex. SweeTex is made by Stratas Foods. Stratas Foods only packages for the trade (50 lb containers). CK buys the SweeTex in 50 lb containers and repacks it in small qualities for home use.
  2. Stratas Foods owns the SweeTex name. They will not allow anyone to use their name. So CK sells SweeTex under their label.
  3. There are zero alternatives to the old formula SweeTex. The old formula is pure PHO (transfat). The government is implementing a full ban on PHO in June because it causes diseases that led to early death. So by law, all shortening must be PHO free to comply with the government regulations.
  4. It’s not just the US government but governments worldwide acting to get PHO’s (transfats) out of the food supply. The World Health Organization is working to ban transfats worldwide by 2023.
  5. Contact Stratas Foods for help with stabilizing your shortening icing recipes. The govt gave a 3 yrs window to allow food processors to get the PHOs out of their products. So Stratas Foods spent about 3 yrs developing the PHO free shortening. They know their products. They can best guide you.

Reaction score
I found that out right after I posted. MANY companies do "White Label" products. And YES, I know all about the TRANS-Fat issue... there should be products with and without it in my opinion. I'm going to have to do some hardcore R&D because Stratus won't be in the kitchen with me trying to perfect New frosting recipes.

Ask a Question