Need Foolproof Cleaning Advice

SHA

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reliable method for removing built up oil films from a non-stick skillet ?

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reliable method for removing built up oil films from a non-stick skillet ?
The best I've been able to do is to fill with water to a level that won't boil over when you add a generous amount of baking soda. Boil for several minutes. I usually just let it cool on its own. Then for any residue make a paste of baking soda with just enough water to bind and apply vigorously with a nylon pad or brush. Finally, rinse and wash as normal with sudsy water. Not guaranteed to completely remove the build-up, but does a pretty good job while using a non-toxic agent.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't, and recommend that you don't scrub or abrade your non-stick skillets. I encourage you to switch to steel skillets (like BK brand). All aluminum, non-stick skillets coatings contain PFAS. Cooking on them releases PFAS into your food .... which ends up in your blood and that of those you are feeding. It's a horrific problem. No more aluminum in my kitchen. I replaced all my skillets with BK skillets, which are non-stick and can be re-seasoned (if needed) like a cast iron skillet, but very light weight.

If you are not aware of PFAS, read here: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/h...review from the,of asthma and thyroid disease.

Ask a Question