Need frosting ideas for outdoor wedding cake

Reaction score
Okay so I'm making a wedding cake next month and I just found out that I can't use my regular buttercream because apparently it makes the bride sick. My contact mentioned whipped frosting but the wedding is outside and the whipped frosting wouldn't hold up in the heat. I could stabilize it but with the sun it would still melt. Any ideas?????
Thanks,
Angie

Reaction score
I think someone else asked this question a few weeks ago.

You could do the whole thing in white chocolate. You can make the chocolate as soft or as hard as you need it to be when it cools on the cake.

Marzipan is also good. More expensive, but tastes much better and is made from almonds.

The is also fondant, but I don't like fondant. It tastes nasty to most people. Its beautiful for decorating, but if you cant eat it or it tastes nasty, why even waste the money? Marzipan works just like fondant and tastes so much better. Marzipan is also called Almond Paste.

Other than that, I cant really suggest anything unless I know what it is about Buttercream that makes the bride sick.

Reaction score
Depends on the look you want to go for I guess. There are some good suggestions from @ChesterV, and the only other thing that springs to mind is french meringue. It's a little sticky though, so I don't know if it's really what you're looking for.

Might be a good idea having a taste test with the bride to see what she does and doesn't like :)

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm waiting to hear back and hopefully I'll get a clearer picture soon of what she wants.
Oh and Becky I'll definitely do a taste test soon to see how they taste.
And ChesterV, wouldn't the white chocolate melt out in the sun? I love the idea but I'm afraid it might get soft or melt.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm waiting to hear back and hopefully I'll get a clearer picture soon of what she wants.
Oh and Becky I'll definitely do a taste test soon to see how they taste.
And ChesterV, wouldn't the white chocolate melt out in the sun? I love the idea but I'm afraid it might get soft or melt.

No, there is hard white chocolate you can use, it will not melt in the sun, only over high heat. You have to work with it very quickly though on the cake before it sets up. And of course you would have to do three or four coats if you use it thinly.

If you can find some videos of the bakery Choccywoccydoodah, all they use is white chocolate. And they put it on pretty thick too.

You just have to have a very sharp knife to slice through the chocolate so it doesn't break apart.

Although, I guess if its out in the sun, it should be supple enough to cut with any knife.

The chocolate also works as a "hold barrier", as its stiff enough to take a hard ride in a delivery vehicle without the cake possibly sliding around or off.

Ask a Question