How to Add Pudding Mix to Dough for Extra Flavor

Reaction score
I see recipes that call for adding pudding mix to the flour before mixing to add extra flavor.
Does the pudding mix replace some flour or is it an addition to?
i.e, the recipe calls for 4 cups flour.
Is it 3-1/2 cups flour + 1/2 cup pudding mix or 4 cups flour +1/2 cup pudding mix?
I would like to dough to be light and fluffy.
Thanx in advance,
The Fishman

Reaction score
You’re not going to get “light and fluffy” when you add pudding mix to flour. Boxed pudding is full of thickener, usually cornstarch.

But if you want to use pudding mix, which is really just cornstarch with artificial flavoring, into your recipe reduce the flour. You may need to increase the liquid because cornstarch is extremely hygroscopic, meaning that it pulls water out of its environment. It’s more hygroscopic them flour and sugar.

Watch this video to see the characteristics of starches. It shows two different types of cornstarch.

The cornstarch in the pudding is going to do exactly the same thing in your dough.

You cannot change the Characteristics of a starch.

Penford starch gels 2:40 shows 6 starches

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
That is what I needed to know.
One more question...
What about gelatin mix?
will it do the same thing?
Thanx again.

Reaction score
Another question.
What is the best way to add some of the flavors of the final product to the dough,
during the mixing stage?
Before adding the filling.
i.e orange rolls.
I have added orange extract to the dough recipe while mixing, then added orange zest to the filling.
That turned out really good, but I was wondering what else can be added for other flavors when there are no extracts available?
Thanx again

Ask a Question