Adjusting Baking Times for Apple Cake Recipe

Reaction score
hello! I have a lovely apple cake my sister loves but sometimes a full cake is too much for just the two of us. I usually third the recipe, but since the baking times are a bit weird, it never tastes as good as a whole cake :( The original recipe is 6oz butter, 9oz sugar, 12oz flour, 3 eggs, up to 1/4 cup of milk (incase mixture is too dry) and 4 apples. However, the baking time is 30 mins and 150 celcius and then 100 celsius till done (usually about 20 mins). How do I change the baking times to make the cake good? thankss!

Reaction score
It all depends on WHAT you are baking it IN...........flat cake pan, loaf pan, casserole dish, etc...

Baking in a flat pan will take less time than baking in a loaf pan. Baking in a casserole dish usually takes less time also.

Since this recipe includes fruit pieces, I would suggest baking at a bit lower temp, probably a bit longer. I would also hazard a guess, that it's done, when the top is golden brown.

The apples should keep the moisture in the cake while baking, so it shouldn't dry out.....but I'd keep an eye on it anyway.

Reaction score
What size pan do you make the original recipe in, and what size pan do you do the 1/3 cake in?

Reaction score
i bake the 1/3 one in a 7 inch wide and 2.5 in tall, and the full cake in a 8 inch wide and 3 inch tall pan :)

Reaction score
It all depends on WHAT you are baking it IN...........flat cake pan, loaf pan, casserole dish, etc...

Baking in a flat pan will take less time than baking in a loaf pan. Baking in a casserole dish usually takes less time also.

Since this recipe includes fruit pieces, I would suggest baking at a bit lower temp, probably a bit longer. I would also hazard a guess, that it's done, when the top is golden brown.

The apples should keep the moisture in the cake while baking, so it shouldn't dry out.....but I'd keep an eye on it anyway.

i bake the 1/3 one in a 7 inch wide and 2.5 in tall, and the full cake in a 8 inch wide and 3 inch tall pan :) its a circle cake pan

Reaction score
Ah ok, so that 1/4 cake is probably proportionally thinner than the whole cake when you look at the volume. It would probably only take 15-20 mins to cook at a guess.

Jen

Reaction score
I'm also struggling with cake timings... I'm fairly new to baking... last 2 cake recipes I followed needed almost twice the time in the oven... 1st one didn't rise at all... tonight's chocolate cake rose beautifully... until I took it out of the oven and burnt my finger, then rather heavily dropped the tin onto the work surface - bye bye beautiful rise! Cake was pretty yummy though, so I won't give up just yet.

Hope you find your timing adjustments! Sorry I can't be of help!

Jen

Reaction score
Oh no, sorry to hear that @Jen! Glad it still tasted good :)
I'm sure there will be plenty more burns to come, hehe! That cake was even more delicious the next day... I'll definitely be making that one again, but will leave in for much longer before I check it next time... and be a bit more careful with the tin!

Ask a Question