Healthy Recipe for Dairy-Free, Low-Carb Birthday Cake

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
It’s my sons 30th birthday this weekend, and as the only baker in the family I have been tasked with making his birthday cake. My dilemma is that at present the doctor has him on a strict diet...no dairy, low carb, no sugar, no fats, no nuts.....argh! Do any of you wonderful people know of a recipe I could use?

TIA,
Kerrin

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Oh goodness, those requirements are certainly restrictive :eek: The problem is that fat and sugar is what make things taste good. When people are trying to cut these things out they often turn to natural foods that are high in natural sugars and fats (eg dates, nuts, avocados, etc) but they still have a high calorie content so wouldn't be recommended for anyone on a restrictive diet. Well, certainly not in any large quantities.

I think any cake recipe that you find that fits into those restrictions will not be good, unfortunately. It might be better to think of a dessert he can have - after all, you can put birthday candles on anything ;)

I made a chocolate mousse recently that was just dark chocolate and water - there will be a small amount of sugar in the chocolate, but not much https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/vegan-chocolate-rose-mousse.4978/

Or how about banana ice-cream made with frozen bananas? You can add various things too - frozen strawberries work well, cocoa powder would make it taste chocolatey, plus a bit of coconut cream makes it creamier.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Oh goodness, those requirements are certainly restrictive :eek: The problem is that fat and sugar is what make things taste good. When people are trying to cut these things out they often turn to natural foods that are high in natural sugars and fats (eg dates, nuts, avocados, etc) but they still have a high calorie content so wouldn't be recommended for anyone on a restrictive diet. Well, certainly not in any large quantities.

I think any cake recipe that you find that fits into those restrictions will not be good, unfortunately. It might be better to think of a dessert he can have - after all, you can put birthday candles on anything ;)

I made a chocolate mousse recently that was just dark chocolate and water - there will be a small amount of sugar in the chocolate, but not much https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/vegan-chocolate-rose-mousse.4978/

Or how about banana ice-cream made with frozen bananas? You can add various things too - frozen strawberries work well, cocoa powder would make it taste chocolatey, plus a bit of coconut cream makes it creamier.

I agree with @Becky. There's a limit to what can be removed from a recipe before its no longer cake. Having a serious health condition that restricts me from eating all things gluten, I can understand your motivation. But at some point those of us with health related food restrictions need to make peace with the fact that we will never again eat certain foods. It's a process, but we all eventually get there.

Ask a Question