Simple and Healthy Recipes for Non-Cooks

Reaction score
I have a fantastic groomer for my pets. She really impressed me when my dogs got very sick and worked with me to try and help them. One had diabetes, the other had Cushings Disease, then diabetes, then went blind, then had surgery to see again, let alone my 17 yr. old cat that I have had all her life who needed her nails trimmed. She worked with me nonstop for all of them.

Anyways.......she got the middle age spread now, so everything I was planning for her xmas present is out (she told me she was attempting to lose weight).........so I came up with the idea of making her a personal I Hate to Cook Cookbook. She "doesn't cook" she says. So does have anyone have simple quick, nonfattening recipes? Non bread ones?

I have Zucchini fries that are baked, Zucchini spaghetti, how to cook Salmon in the dishwasher. Simple Scallops and Shrimp. Anything that doesn't take a lot of time as she works a lot.

Fast but good food.

Reaction score
I have to ask... how to cook salmon in the dishwasher??? :eek:

Does she have a slow cooker? I know you mention she doesn't have a lot of time due to work, but if she has time on the weekend or days off, slow cooker recipes might also be an option of easy cooking (dump everything in, set it, go about your day, few hours later you get a delicious meal).

Reaction score
I have to ask... how to cook salmon in the dishwasher??? :eek:

Does she have a slow cooker? I know you mention she doesn't have a lot of time due to work, but if she has time on the weekend or days off, slow cooker recipes might also be an option of easy cooking (dump everything in, set it, go about your day, few hours later you get a delicious meal).

Reaction score
Yes there is such a thing as cooking salmon in the dishwasher, I have done it. Of course no soap. Google it, you'll find the recipe.

A slow cooker is a good idea. I don't know if she has one. All I know is that when I give her food, she always says "I don't cook".

I can't deliver meals to her, but since I live alone I have "extra" food sometimes, and sometimes I try new recipes and they are always too much for 1, so she gets them. I no longer can give her cookies, dad's party mix, chocolate pretzels, all the things I was planning on giving her.

I know she wants to eat lighter now to lose the weight. That middle age spread creeps up on a person!

The other stuff I can give to the staff, they are younger and I am sure don't get many treats.

Thanks for idea! I see her today and will ask her.

Reaction score
Maybe just a non-food gift? It really sounds like she doesn't enjoy cooking, something I can't relate to. At times I don't have time to cook, but that's different.

Reaction score
I saw her today, dropping my dog off and she does own a slow cooker. A non food gift is not really easy and is boring imho. I don't have to do anything, but I feel so indebted to her for all the great thought and care she gave my animals during those years. She is a rare find for one's pets. The big companies will not groom "sick(diabetic)" animals I found. She had no problem with any of them or the specifics of each pets needs.

Since she does own a slow cooker that means to me she must do some. I am sure those recipes I can find online. I didn't own a slow cooker until last year! And I am older than her!

I just think she is not the kind of person to look for easy recipes online, or go through cookbooks, not interested I imagine. So if I can compile a bunch that are quick and easy, it may help her with her eating. Fast food is out, even restaurant food is not always healthy, frozen foods are fattening, I don't think she has any option now. These recipes take minimal work.

I like to surprise folks with unique (wanted or needed) gifts, the people I truly care about. I put a lot of thought into them. So.......I will do this.

Reaction score
Since you mentioned salmon, I make it frequently.

preheat the oven to 355°.
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Place 4 oz piece of salmon on parchment.
Drizzle it with olive oil.
Sprinkle it with herbs of your choice.
Add little flake salt like Maldon.
A bit of fresh ground white pepper.
Wrap the parchment around the salmon to form a little package.
Pop the cookie sheet in the oven for 15 mins.
And with the parchment paper cleanup is even easier than the cooking.

Rosemary red potatoes I make exactly the same way. Just cut red potatoes in half or quarters. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Wrap it up pop it in the oven at 400° for approximately 50 minutes to an hour depending on the amount of potatoes.

The other thing I do is make 4 to 6 servings. I then portion servings into individual containers and refrigerate or freeze. So I normally only cook one or two times a week, but have meals for 7 days or more.

The fastest way to cook spaghetti is in a skillet, using cold water. In the time that it would take to boil a big pot of water for pasta, you can actually have your pasta noodles already cooked with this method.

https://lifehacker.com/5860015/cook...ying-pan-for-a-quick-dinner-and-an-easy-sauce

Reaction score
Since you mentioned salmon, I make it frequently.

preheat the oven to 355°.
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Place 4 oz piece of salmon on parchment.
Drizzle it with olive oil.
Sprinkle it with herbs of your choice.
Add little flake salt like Maldon.
A bit of fresh ground white pepper.
Wrap the parchment around the salmon to form a little package.
Pop the cookie sheet in the oven for 15 mins.
And with the parchment paper cleanup is even easier than the cooking.

Rosemary red potatoes I make exactly the same way. Just cut red potatoes in half or quarters. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Wrap it up pop it in the oven at 400° for approximately 50 minutes to an hour depending on the amount of potatoes.

The other thing I do is make 4 to 6 servings. I then portion servings into individual containers and refrigerate or freeze. So I normally only cook one or two times a week, but have meals for 7 days or more.

The fastest way to cook spaghetti is in a skillet, using cold water. In the time that it would take to boil a big pot of water for pasta, you can actually have your pasta noodles already cooked with this method.

https://lifehacker.com/5860015/cook...ying-pan-for-a-quick-dinner-and-an-easy-sauce

Reaction score
I never even used parchment paper until 6 months ago! Now I know more about it. Your salmon recipe sounds lovely, though I don't know of the salt you mentioned.

No potatoes, or real noodles can be included for her. Those are a weight problem. That is why I found the Zucchini pasta noodle recipe. Noodles are made of zucchini only, fried with some butter and crushed garlic, really good, fast, and easy.

Reaction score
I am still in need of Easy, fast, few ingredients recipes. No starches, she is trying to lose wait.

I did find out that she is having a major remodel of her house and will live at the kennel for the duration. I am sure there must be a microwave and small fridge there. So it really limits what I can put in the book for her. I only found 3 slow cooker recipes that fit the requirements above. Anybody?? And thanks!

Reaction score
Spaghett squash is my new favorite.
Last month I got a good deal on it before the local produce farm closed down for the season. I got it two for a dollar.
I cut the squash in half, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then placed them in a microwave safe pie dish and microwaved it for 15 minutes.
After it was done I sautéed chopped onion, spinach, canned black beans (drained and rinsed) and diced potatoes. I seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a little chili powder and some cumin. I folded in chicken and added some chicken broth.
After i let it cook for a few minutes I mixed it with the spaghetti squash and I put it in a clean dish, sprinkled some sharp white cheddar on top then put it back in the microwave until the cheese was melted. It was so delicious!
My mom who had been skeptical about it went back for seconds.

Reaction score
Spaghett squash is my new favorite.
Last month I got a good deal on it before the local produce farm closed down for the season. I got it two for a dollar.
I cut the squash in half, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then placed them in a microwave safe pie dish and microwaved it for 15 minutes.
After it was done I sautéed chopped onion, spinach, canned black beans (drained and rinsed) and diced potatoes. I seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a little chili powder and some cumin. I folded in chicken and added some chicken broth.
After i let it cook for a few minutes I mixed it with the spaghetti squash and I put it in a clean dish, sprinkled some sharp white cheddar on top then put it back in the microwave until the cheese was melted. It was so delicious!
My mom who had been skeptical about it went back for seconds.

Reaction score
Lol that is funny about your mom, you converted her!

Sounds really good!

I guess it is up to "taste" as far as your spices? No measurements?

I'll add it in the "I hate to cook cookbook" for her. I doubt she can make it at the kennel, I am not sure they have a "burner" of sorts for the sauteed. I'll have to ask/find out. But just microwaving the squash might be a meal for her, a bit of butter, salt, pepper and whatever.

I'll use your recipe myself! Thank you!

Reaction score
Lol that is funny about your mom, you converted her!

Sounds really good!

I guess it is up to "taste" as far as your spices? No measurements?

I'll add it in the "I hate to cook cookbook" for her. I doubt she can make it at the kennel, I am not sure they have a "burner" of sorts for the sauteed. I'll have to ask/find out. But just microwaving the squash might be a meal for her, a bit of butter, salt, pepper and whatever.

I'll use your recipe myself! Thank you!

You’re welcome! And yes, the I add the spices I like and I don’t really measure them. This meal was what I call a throw together meal. I looked through my cupboards and fridge and just used what I like. I like to experiment with the meals I make.

Ask a Question