How to Fix Muffin Tops

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my blueberry muffins. It appears the tops are done before the underlying batter and the tops are just pushed up out of the way while the rest of the muffin rises and finishes baking. I've tried convection and conventional bake settings to no avail. Tried 375F to 425F oven temp and it didn't make much of a difference. See attached photo.

Attachments

• muffins.jpg
    muffins.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 472
Reaction score
It is from scratch. Here is the recipe I'm using:

2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
1 C milk
1/4 C vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Reaction score
I think more flour would help. Maybe add a quarter cup extra and see if that helps. Also, make sure you only fill the cases two-thirds full.

Reaction score
HI Joe, If you are trying to make just twelve muffins with fruit then there is a lot of batter and liquid in the recipe you are using. Probably why there is such an explosive result when baked. I have a very good breakfast muffin recipe that I have been using for both fruit and if you like also add chocolate chips to this batter for chocolate chip muffins.

Breakfast Muffins
Ingredients: Base Recipe for Twelve Muffins

1+3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup milk (Room Temp)
1/3 cup white sugar 1 egg (room temp)
2+1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup Fruit or Chocolate Chips

1. Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Coat the blueberries in flour first. This will help the blueberries disperse in the batter and not let them fall right to the bottom when baking. set aside
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl, Mix the milk, egg, and butter.
  5. Add Milk Mixture to flour mixture and mix by hand using a rubber spatula until all ingredients are incorporated, do not over mix.
  6. Gently fold in the fruit or Choc Chips. This should take about five to six folds. Don't over mix because the blueberries will start turning the batter blue color.
  7. Scoop batter into greased (use Pam for Baking) or use muffin cups.
  8. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Check about 14 minutes.

Reaction score
Sorry, that's a new one for me...perhaps over-mixing.

Last year I developed a lemon blueberry muffin for an event. I'm told it's good. I can't eat gluten so I've not tasted it. Your welcomed to have it. Recipe & photo below.

Blueberry Lemon Muffin
By Norcalbaker59

Preheat oven 375

Line 2 - 12 cup muffin tins (yield depends on muffin tin size)

Bake time approximately 20 minutes

All ingredients should be 70 degrees

I use Central Milling Artisan Craft (Hard Red Winter Wheat, 11.5% protein). A comparable flour is King Arthur All Purpose.

Whisk throughly dry ingredients and set aside

250 g all purpose flour

12 g of baking powder

5 g of baking soda

2 g salt

In separate bowl, whisk to blend, set aside

83 g eggs, 70 degrees

200 g buttermilk, 70 degrees

12 g vanilla extract

In mixer bowl, rub zest into sugar with fingers to release oils

165 g of sugar

Zest of large lemon

Cream butter and lemon sugar with paddle attachment on medium until light and fluffy (kitchenaid setting 4)

95 g unsalted butter, 70 degrees

To creamed butter, alternately add wet and dry ingredients in two additions

Mix until just combined

Mix in by hand

250 g fresh blueberries, washed and dried

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full

Optional: sprinkle tops with raw sugar before baking

Attachments

• IMG_5502.JPG
    IMG_5502.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 372
Reaction score
Thanks for this recipe Norcalbaker59. Have you tried to use Gluten-free flour and Xanthum Gum to make it gluten free for you to try? Just replace the same amount of flour and add 1+1/4 teaspoon of xanthum to hold it all together. There is no gluten in the remaining ingredients that is used in this recipe. I always like to use the King Arthur All Purpose Gluten-Free flour blend and sometimes create my own Gluten-free Artisan blend. Muffins come out great if baked right away otherwise they will deflate if left for a while before baking. Give it a try. Thanks again for the recipe.

Reaction score
Thanks for this recipe Norcalbaker59. Have you tried to use Gluten-free flour and Xanthum Gum to make it gluten free for you to try? Just replace the same amount of flour and add 1+1/4 teaspoon of xanthum to hold it all together. There is no gluten in the remaining ingredients that is used in this recipe. I always like to use the King Arthur All Purpose Gluten-Free flour blend and sometimes create my own Gluten-free Artisan blend. Muffins come out great if baked right away otherwise they will deflate if left for a while before baking. Give it a try. Thanks again for the recipe.

Good morning DenLach
I've not tried to convert this recipe to gluten-free. But I was thinking about it the other day. I had purchased some blueberries that were so delicious I thought I should convert this recipe and bake up a batch of blueberry muffins.

On the Gluten Free board here, I posted a couple of recipes that I converted to gluten free: chiffon cake and a chocolate chunk cookie.

While I normally mix my own gluten-free blend, I do keep King Arthur and Pamela's gluten free blends stocked in my pantry. Of all the gluten free brands I find these two perform well. I've used King Arthur's gluten free pancake mix--even served it to guests. No one could tell they were gluten-free.

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my blueberry muffins. It appears the tops are done before the underlying batter and the tops are just pushed up out of the way while the rest of the muffin rises and finishes baking. I've tried convection and conventional bake settings to no avail. Tried 375F to 425F oven temp and it didn't make much of a difference. See attached photo.

Preheat the oven to 375, make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven also. I usually cook them for 20 min. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question