When to Bake Pies: Tips for Beginner Bakers

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm relatively new to baking pies. I've learned how to make pie crusts through videos on baking cites, and they were so helpful! However, I am confused as to when to bake a pie.

I am going to my aunts for easter next Sunday and I want to make a blueberry pie and an apple pie. When would I bake these pies? The day of or the day before? And if I bake them the day of, do I have to warm them up right before they're served?

I tried looking this up on the web but didn't find anything. I thought maybe I could make the dough for the crusts the day before and then bake with the filling the day of.

Please let me know your thoughts and knowledge on this matter! I'm really happy I came across this forum since I love to bake so much.

Reaction score
Your questions regard personal preferences.

You can bake pies ahead of time, or the day of, or the day before..........it's personal preference.

Heating them up, or serving hot is also personal preference. Some people don't like hot pie.

If you do bake them ahead of time, or the day before, I would suggest baking your pie crust before filling it, as the baked pie crust will get less soggy or flimsy after setting around a day or two.

If you prebake your crusts anyway, then I don't see any problems.

:D

Reaction score
I would blind bake the crusts the day before (using pie weights/dried beans, of course) and cook the filling separately. Then I'd dump the filling in with a struesel on top that I'd cook with a gaurd over the precooked edges of crust that are exposed that day. The struesel shouldn't take too long to cook so things will stay nice.

Not sure what to do if you want a lattice top or something like that. I'm too lazy to do those. ;) Plus I really like crumbly pie tops.

Reaction score
I agree with the other comments - it's best to blind bake your pastry case before adding the filling. Personally I quite like pie that is a day old, but it's down to personal preference.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Ask a Question