New Baker

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to baking. What recipes would you recommend for me to start out with and if anyone knows any tips or suggestions can you please let me know? Thanks!

Reaction score
I recommend you to start with something simple, like for example a lemon drizzle. If you need a confidence boost, then you could simply try a box cake recipe ;) One of my very first cakes was one from a box ;) That helped me gain confidence and from there I jumped to more complicated things.

Reaction score
There are also some recipes that start with a box mix that you can "doctor up." You can also try cookie bars. Just mix the cookie recipe or some cookie mix, and then put it in a cake pan instead of making individual cookies. Bars usually take a bit longer to bake than what the recipe says for individual cookies, so check them often. Then, just cut them into squares. Good luck!

Reaction score
Welcome! So good to have you here. If you have no previous baking experience, my advice would be to start with something like a boxed brownie mix. It is so easy, just add eggs, water and oil in the amounts it says on the box and bake for the time it says on the box for the size pan you are using. This will give you a chance to test out your oven and see if it is hotter or cooler than the dial indicates. As long as you set a timer, brownies are hard to ruin. The worst that might happen is they get a little crunchy, but topping with ice cream will make them edible if that happens. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you all for ur feedback. Yes i have tried some store bought box cakes, cupcakes and some cookies. Im ok with making those. Im trying to make something from scratch now because i've never made anything from scratch. Im trying to look for perhaps a easy yet delicious pastry recipe or a cake recipe that i can make from scratch.

Reaction score
I recommend you to start with something simple, like for example a lemon drizzle. If you need a confidence boost, then you could simply try a box cake recipe ;) One of my very first cakes was one from a box ;) That helped me gain confidence and from there I jumped to more complicated things.
I'm not much of a lemon person. Do you have another suggestion as to what i can make instead. Yes i have made some box cakes and cookies. Im ok with that. Im trying to make something from scratch now.

Reaction score
Check for 3 ingredients stuff then, those are simple enough for most new bakers to try. Like for example the 3 ingredient nutella filled croissants. Those are so simple a kid could make them. Actually I plan to bake that with my nieces.

Reaction score
I don't want to link to other baking/cooking sites or copy other people's recipes, but there are several different homemade cake recipes available. I would search using the terms easy or beginner. The beginner ones tend to explain the lingo better, in case there is terminology you aren't familiar with.

Reaction score
Welcome! This is going to sound silly but if you're really new to baking, I would start with boxed stuff you see in grocery stores. Those are generally good to help you learn the consistency of a batter and what goes well with what. Once that is done and you feel like you have mastered the boxed baked goods, then start with something easy.

Or if you have family that loves to bake, see if they are willing to teach you. It would be a great way to learn how to bake and to spend some time with your family!

Reaction score
Check for 3 ingredients stuff then, those are simple enough for most new bakers to try. Like for example the 3 ingredient nutella filled croissants. Those are so simple a kid could make them. Actually I plan to bake that with my nieces.

@Trellum That sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for that suggestion! Im going to make that this weekend!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum new baker!

this really is not so much a baked good as it is a nice sweet summer-time treat or really good all year long and its EASY!

if i can than you can as the saying goes.

Buy yourself:

1 Angel Food Cake
1 Box of instant Vanilla Pudding
1 Box of instant Butterscotch pudding
1 bag of heath bar chips.
1 small tub of Whip Cream

Mix the puddings according to the package, then mix together.

Take the angel food cake and rip it into tiny pieces.

mix the angel food cake with the pudding mixture

Pour into a baking dish and top wit the heath bar chips. Then top with Whip Cream and a few more sprinkles of Heath Bar Chips :)

Fridge that for an hour and your good to go!

It was my favorite pie my Grandmother used to make me on my birthday and it is simple!

For added zest i suppose you could use mini Hershey kisses. :)

Ask a Question