"New" Dutch shortbread cookies in a blue can

Reaction score

Took a trip to visit my parents in Puerto Rico last month and they had these awesome shortbread cookies in the kitchen. Stakun's Dutch Shortbread Cookies.
I had never seen these in my life and they are so freaking yummy!! It was funny because they kept telling me about how they tasted just like ones my Great-grandmother kept in her house when they were dating. Mom kept saying to me, "Don't you remember the blue can?" honestly, I had no idea what she was talking about. LOL

Then I remembered a short round tin that my Grandmother kept sewing items in, but these I see at Wal-mart so these apparently are not the ones she swoons about.

What are these cookies she speaks of? She says they don't exist anymore but she is super happy with these new ones. My father and her even took a trip to the factory where they make them! They were like kids again.

Attached is a pic of the ones on their kitchen counter, I loved them so much I brought back 4 cans with me to Texas. Proud to say they are made in Puerto Rico!! I'm going to have to have them send me these cookies on a regular basis!! #puertorico

Reaction score
What a nice surprise to bump into a fellow Boricua!! :) I hope you had a wonderful time visiting!

I also grew up in Puerto Rico but the ones I remember that may be similar in taste and texture to those are Danish butter cookies. They come in a short blue round tin (as you've described), with an assortment of them (I loved those cookies!!). However, I think these are still available in PR (unless stores down there have stopped carrying it). Mom also kept sewing supplies in these tins ;)

RoyalDanskCookies.jpg

I don't recall any other blue cans... of course there were Florecitas but those are definitely not these

Attachments

• RoyalDanskCookies 2.jpg
    RoyalDanskCookies 2.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 742
Reaction score
What a nice surprise to bump into a fellow Boricua!! :) I hope you had a wonderful time visiting!

I also grew up in Puerto Rico but the ones I remember that may be similar in taste and texture to those are Danish butter cookies. They come in a short blue round tin (as you've described), with an assortment of them (I loved those cookies!!). However, I think these are still available in PR (unless stores down there have stopped carrying it). Mom also kept sewing supplies in these tins ;)

View attachment 998

I don't recall any other blue cans... of course there were Florecitas but those are definitely not these

Oh I remember my grandmother having the Royal Dansks cookies. But during the holidays it was totally about the scratch baking:D

Reaction score
Those Royan Dansks cookies are easily found in New England. They are available especially around the holidays but can be found year round. I have to limit my purchases - they are so good.

Reaction score

View attachment 998

Yes, My Grandmother had these too, but these are a lot harder and I don't think the quality is the same, She gets them at the dollar store.

Reaction score
Those Royan Dansks cookies are easily found in New England. They are available especially around the holidays but can be found year round. I have to limit my purchases - they are so good.

These are found in many stores as well. However the Stakun's are new and are super yummy!!

Reaction score
Right now they are only being sold on the island of Puerto Rico and a few spots in Florida. They have a web page, www.stakuns.com and they ship anywhere. LOL That's how I have been getting them since my last visit to PR.

Ask a Question