New oven not baking evenly

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Lizzie, May 30, 2019.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

I bought a new GE Cafe double oven range, and was so excited to start baking.

I was so disappointed to find that the oven does not bake my cakes like my old oven.

Both pound cakes, and my cakes baked in 9x13 pans back unevenly. They are lopsided, and one side seems over baked and too brown.

I have baked regular, and in using the convection and they are not baking right. I bake about 20 cakes a week, and people are depending on me to deliver them. I have called GE and the store where I purchased, but just trying to resolve it myself.

Anyone ever have this issue when using a new range/oven?

Thanks!

Lizzie, May 30, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Lizzie

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

I would advise against using the convection. Convection is not suited for home baking. It’s designed for commercial baking; when you have 20 pans in an oven you need air circulating all around the pans in order for everything to bake. When you’re baking at home you do not have that kind of volume. When you use convection with a couple of pan, the heat is too intense. It bakes the cake batter way too fast. I wasted almost $4000 on a Wolf convection oven, not realizing the convection setting would fry all my baked goods.

There’s really not much you can do until you know exactly what is going on with the oven. If you have not already done so test the oven temperature at increments of 25°F from 300°F-400°F.

You need to know if there’s any discrepancies in the setting you’re selecting and the temperature the oven is actually baking at. It may be the oven just needs to be calibrated.

Also place the empty baking dish in the oven and put the thermometer in it. Move it around in the baking dish so you can see if there’s a significant difference in temperature on one end of the baking dish from the other.

Certainly you could try things like reducing baking temperature and using cloth baking strips which I always recommend anyway. With rare exception my cakes are all baked at 325°F. And I always use cloth baking strips. My cakes are perfectly level and even. I can’t even remember the last time I leveled. And my cakes are never overly browned. That is one of my pet peeve’s, I don’t want brown crust lines between my cake layers.

Norcalbaker59, May 30, 2019
    Lizzie and Becky like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

THANK YOU soooooooooooooo much! You have truly helped me. I was wondering about the convection and baking cakes as there has been pros and cons, and your explanation makes sense to me. I have also checked as you stated with the pan inside and you are correct, the oven temp is not right throughout the oven. I have called the GE repair and they will be here on Monday morning. I absolutely love the range, the WIFI, and other features of the stove, and hope we can resolve the issue. Thanks again, for your help.

Lizzie, Jun 2, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Sorry didn’t respond earlier, I’ve been out of town. I’m glad my suggestions were useful. I hope the GE repairman fixed your oven. GE does make a good oven. I’ve had GE Profile ovens in my last home and currently have a GE oven. Overall I’ve been pretty satisfied with them.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 6, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question