New range recommendation

Reaction score
Hello, can you guys please give me recommendations on a 30" gas range with a convection oven that actually works? I have bought many expensive ovens and none of them cook evenly. If I could, I would buy a commercial one but it's not practical for my kitchen remodel. I want a reliable oven that will bake 3 rows of croissants perfectly without having to rotate pans or anything like that. I can't find any sites that review the convection property of the oven and everyone talks about how the oven looks but now how it functions. Can you guys please help and give me some recommendations?

Reaction score
Hello, can you guys please give me recommendations on a 30" gas range with a convection oven that actually works? I have bought many expensive ovens and none of them cook evenly. If I could, I would buy a commercial one but it's not practical for my kitchen remodel. I want a reliable oven that will bake 3 rows of croissants perfectly without having to rotate pans or anything like that. I can't find any sites that review the convection property of the oven and everyone talks about how the oven looks but now how it functions. Can you guys please help and give me some recommendations?

I cannot recommend an oven in the UK, but I can tell you that a convection home oven is totally useless for home baking. You will over bake and dry out everything you bake on convection.

Convection is designed for commercial baking. If hot air is not continuously circulating in the oven chamber, the hot air rises to the top, creating a warmer spot at the top of the oven chamber. In commercial baking multiple racks of product are baked at once. And the oven chamber is deeper and wider than a home oven. When a dozen cakes are being baked at once, it’s extremely important for air to be circulating in the oven chamber for even heating between the racks and around each cake pan. but confection baking in a commercial setting is even so intense both temperature and baking time is reduced significantly.

Convection for home oven is nothing but a gimmick. In 2002 I fell for this gimmick. I spent $3500 for Viking’s top of the line built in wall oven with convection. I was never able to bake anything with the convection setting. As I learn, home bakers only have a single sheet of cookies, or two cake pan—not enough racks and volume for all that hot air to circulate around. So the hot air ends up over baking, over browning and drying out everything.

Look for a good gas oven with good seals. Bakers prefer gas ovens because they are more humid, so produce better baked goods. While electric ovens may have few hot spots, that dry heat produces crappy baked goods—for the same reason convection will over baked goods.

Reaction score
I always turned croiss in convections, blodgett, vulcan etc, we always turned them when 2/3rd baked.
5 racks in the oven, top and bottom racks always baked faster, 125 croiss in each oven.
Gas or elec fired convections baked the same, if you could reverse the direction of the fan you could get away not rotating the trays but until then... turn the trays.

Ask a Question