New ways of doing things

Reaction score
I still make my waffles the way I always have, in my electric waffle maker. I'm about to pull it out to make another batch. I like to make a big batch at a time, since my kitchen's small. That way, I make them and keep some out for immediate use, and freeze the rest, then pull one or two out as needed, and toast them up for breakfast. After I make up the batch, I dutifully wrap up the waffle maker to protect it from dust, and store it away until it's time for another batch.

I know that there have been changes made to a lot of our usual kitchen appliances, so I started looking around, and I found this article about baking waffles in the oven. I actually have some similar molds to the one shown, but mine are for ice cubes. They're leftovers from before I had a refrigerator with an ice maker. It never occurred to me that I could bake waffles in the oven, but it's an interesting concept, since the mold is flexible, thinner, and a lot less heavy than my electric waffler. I wanted to share this in case anyone's interested in getting a mold and trying it.

It got me thinking, maybe there are other new developments I've missed out on. Have y'all changed the way you cook/bake over the years by using new technology or just a different method?

Reaction score
I don't know but this thread reminds me of our cheese griller that we haven't used for a long time. For those in a hurry, they just place the cheese sandwich in the oven toaster, especially the kids, they say it is easier and faster than making grilled cheese. But mind you, grilled cheese has a different taste than toasted cheese sandwich. As with the waffle, we don't make it here but I have already posted in another thread that I love waffles particularly the most popular Belgian waffles.

Reaction score
I feel like for me I guess I'm a bit of a "set in my ways type" and think that for me if it isn't broken don't fix it!

The link though to the waffle molds for the oven really has me fascinated - I've never seen anything like that! I feel like the traditional waffle press is easier but I'm imagining the molds are more cost effective...needless to say I think it's cool!!

Reaction score
I am new to baking and so far I've only ever done things the way that my mother and grandmother did them. I don't feel confident enough yet to start trying out new things, but I guess that day will come. Things are constantly changing and technology is making everything easier all the time. It makes sense to try and keep up with the developments in the kitchen.

Reaction score
Looks like a really creative way, it's also innovating because I had never done them like that before, not either my friends or my mom, it's weird because my mom knows a lot about waffles and she called me crazy when I told her about baking them in the oven. Thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
I am not sure about waffles in the oven, but I like the general theme of the article and there is some good stuff in there. The waffle one might be the last one I try though, just because I love my waffle maker though, but I can see myself using it in a pinch.

Reaction score
I think this would be a good way of making them especially when baking for a crowd, maybe for a family reunion or church or other large social gathering. It would definitely make more at one time, particularly if you had extra molds and huge industrial ovens that some churches have. Some churches have large gatherings of this type for Fat Tuesday (sometimes called Pancake Tuesday), and since it's the last night before Lent starts, they tend to serve pancakes/waffles/french toast, etc. before people give up these types of foods. I might look around to see if I can find an inexpensive one to try out. Now that my nieces are grown, we don't make too many large batches of anything, but as I said, I like to freeze a bunch at a time, for ease on weekday mornings.

Reaction score
In the cooking department I would try to change it up every which way imaginable. The reason I love cooking so much. In the baking department not so much. I am still green but I look forward to the time when this science can be tampered with.

Ask a Question