Newbie:) Tips appreciated!!

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm no proffesional. No, I don't own a bakery, and I defiantly didn't go to cooking school. I'm just a girl who likes to bake. I need a bit of help, too. My two closest friends also likes to bake. One has her mom,'help' and all her cupcakes are perfect. The other sticks to simple stuff that she knows like pancakes to insure she doesn't mess up. Whenever we have baking competitions, I like to try ellabrote dishes that I usually have never made before. This usually results with me losing in a painful way, being made fun of by my friends and saying I'm a horrible chef. I I really want to prove it to them that I'm not just someone who throws stuff in a dish and hopes it turns out well. And tips or yummy recipes would be deeply appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Tons of tips and "how to's" on this site. I've posted some of my secrets and recipes and ideas on here, so all you gotta do is search the forums for whatever it is you are interested in.

Becky is a professional at home baker (did I get that right Becky?)......Between the two of us, I think we have helped a lot of people who come on here.

You can also get on Youtube and search for "how to" videos in just about everything, including cooking, baking, and fancy recipes!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Becky is a professional at home baker (did I get that right Becky?)

Nope, I just love to bake! :D

I think when it comes to baking it's a good idea to learn the basics first. Stick to the recipe until you know what works and what doesn't - after a while you get a feel for how the end result changes depending on what you do. There's a lot to be said for mastering the basics before you move on to more advanced recipes.

As to your friends being nasty about your cooking, well that's just not nice! Friends are meant to encourage each other! You can be sure of friendly assistance here whatever happens :)

What's the next challenge you've got planned? Let us know if we can help at all :D

Reaction score
I absolutely agree to learn the basics. And have fun! I think you should practice meringues, custards, buttercreams, sponges, pie crusts, and all kinds of baking building blocks. That way, when you tackle something new, you can look at the recipe and find the familiar.

And your friends need to chill. Maybe instead of competing you can just bake together.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Nope, I just love to bake! :D

I think when it comes to baking it's a good idea to learn the basics first. Stick to the recipe until you know what works and what doesn't - after a while you get a feel for how the end result changes depending on what you do. There's a lot to be said for mastering the basics before you move on to more advanced recipes.

As to your friends being nasty about your cooking, well that's just not nice! Friends are meant to encourage each other! You can be sure of friendly assistance here whatever happens :)

What's the next challenge you've got planned? Let us know if we can help at all :D

HA HA, yeah my friends can't wait till I bake stuff!!!! Good or bad, they LOVE to be my "guinea pigs"!!!!

Ask a Question