Newbie to the forum info on frozen bread dough

Reaction score
greetings! i've been baking bread off and since i was 16 years old but recently started again doing this weekly making it a tradition or trying to . i decided to try to mix up large batches of bread dough and then freeze half. (challah bread dough) looking for advice about how to best thaw and bake frozen bread dough. i've let the dough rise once, punched down, shaped and froze tightly wrapped for one week. now .....how to proceed with best results? thanks so much!

Reaction score
rubato is a musical term it means "stealing time" slowing down and then speeding up to convey emotion in music but the basic pulse not changed, so if you speed up in music you have to slow down to give back the time that you took. all done very tastefully and gracefully if possible :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

You froze the bread at the right time, ie after the first prove. When you want to use it, take it out of the freezer, unwrap it, and allow it to slowly thaw and have its second prove. Once it has risen then it should be ok to bake. However I've never made challah bread dough before so I'm not sure whether it should be treated differently.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

You froze the bread at the right time, ie after the first prove. When you want to use it, take it out of the freezer, unwrap it, and allow it to slowly thaw and have its second prove. Once it has risen then it should be ok to bake. However I've never made challah bread dough before so I'm not sure whether it should be treated differently.

thankks beck! what i'm wondering is this; its rising slowlly in the refrigerator while i'm at work. i wonder if i should punch it down when i get home, take it out of the fridge and let rise once more at room temperature. or should i just take it out and let it sit with out at room temp with out punching down again and then bake. i would love to be able to punch down again and reshape it as the braid isn't real nice right now. woiuld like to reshape it but don't want to kiill the yeast int the process. thoughts on that?

Reaction score
thankks beck! what i'm wondering is this; its rising slowlly in the refrigerator while i'm at work. i wonder if i should punch it down when i get home, take it out of the fridge and let rise once more at room temperature. or should i just take it out and let it sit with out at room temp with out punching down again and then bake. i would love to be able to punch down again and reshape it as the braid isn't real nice right now. woiuld like to reshape it but don't want to kiill the yeast int the process. thoughts on that?

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your post. What did you end up doing? Hope it turned out ok!

Ask a Question