Next up...whole wheat scones

Reaction score
That's what I have next on my baking 'to do" list. Recently I developed quite a liking for regular scones. I still want to make one that's especially light, but I got to thinking I might like a whole wheat scone. .I saw a few recipes online, but if anyone can offer suggestions for any they have made, I am happy to hear. Lords knows the thought of baking in this weather is not encouraging though. I now understand what some have been talking about.

Reaction score
Best of luck with that, I personally think whole wheat scones are a very good option for those who want to follow a healthier lifestyle. Because of the fiber, of course ;) The baking process is almost the same as with the average scones. Best of luck and let us know how it goes if you decide to try it!

Reaction score
Best of luck with that, I personally think whole wheat scones are a very good option for those who want to follow a healthier lifestyle. Because of the fiber, of course ;) The baking process is almost the same as with the average scones. Best of luck and let us know how it goes if you decide to try it!

I thought I would make some this weekend but I didn't. I was hot and miserable and just wanted to jump in cold water and not go to a hot oven. I now think I understand what most have been saying about baking in these summer months. It's like a new breed of heat that's sweeping the nation. It feels like soon we will be able to bake stuff outside of the oven. It's frightening truth be told.

Reaction score
Hehehehe, I baked a whole batch of brownies some weeks ago and yes it was sooooooo hot! I'll be baking a pie in 2 weeks, but over here the weather is getting a bit more on the colder side. I am so happy about that. I am so ready to receive autumn with open arms! Is it really that hot over there? I've heard the summers almost everywhere are hotter, even the Netherlands, my fiance told me some days it feels like a sauna!

Reaction score
Hehehehe, I baked a whole batch of brownies some weeks ago and yes it was sooooooo hot! I'll be baking a pie in 2 weeks, but over here the weather is getting a bit more on the colder side. I am so happy about that. I am so ready to receive autumn with open arms! Is it really that hot over there? I've heard the summers almost everywhere are hotter, even the Netherlands, my fiance told me some days it feels like a sauna!

It's ridiculously hot. Every year it seems to be worse. Still I don't compare it to the Miami heat I have felt when I traveled there often. I keep putting off the baking of anything and every day I say I am going to do something and the day goes by.

Reaction score
I had to come and say I made my whole wheat scones yesterday and I loved them. Not too sweet and so delicious in my opinion. My son won't taste any but I think my husband would have eaten them all in one go. The weather was not too bad. It rained and cooled the day down somewhat and I did not even bake late night. I baked in the evening. I don't know I like the look of mine. Not fantastic looking and perfectly shaped but nice to eat. I like them and I would say I pass the whole wheat scone test.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Is it starting to cool down over here? Over here it sees winter or ''fall'' is going to start in one month tops. I don't know how to call that season, since is not quite like fall... is too cold to be fall, but our winters are so mild that I can't call them proper winters. But then again, even in the Netherlands the winters have been so green and mild!! Crazy and not good at all. By the way, kudos to you for baking those scones ;) Glad to read they were a success! I might be baking a pie next week :)

Reaction score
It's 5.30pm and I am topless. Don't try to imagine that:). I am actually getting ready to shower and I think I'll just use cold water. I am miserable when I stay at home to work these days. We had some rain for a few days but it's still warm. Since that scone, I did a cream cheese scone and that was good although I did make them too small. I cut the recipe in half and still yielded the same amount the original recipe called for. I am now hooked on scone and nice breeze came through to silence me about it being hot.

Reaction score
You filled them with cream cheese? Please tell me it was a new pack of cream cheese :D Because the cream cheese you have been mentioning lately has surely gone bad a long time ago, hehehe. But seriously, I'm glad to read you are baking more often. Over here it's also starting to cool down, so yes, this week I will bake my favorite: a cheese pie!

Reaction score
http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-cheese-scones-473959

That's the one I tried. They looked nothing like that as I did small squares. I have a picture with them but not looking so good behind my broken mug that I showed elsewhere. Well that bad cream cheese turned out not so bad after all. Would you believe I still have some remaining?:D:D:D:D:D Do you think, it will kill us off if I use the remainder quickly. My son would live because he's just not into the scones.

Reaction score
@Winterybella It's such a bad time for this, hahahaha! I'm so hungry right now!!! I just bookmarked this recipe, it sounds so good!! I am definitely going to try it next year at home, I like to have that kind of things ready to eat before leaving for work. Yumm!!! Hehehe, so is it the same cream cheese? But it's been weeks since you first mentioned it D: But if it's still good... then I guess you should really used the remaining. I'll use mine this weekend, mine has been sitting there for 3 weeks, but it's still good :)

Reaction score
@Winterybella It's such a bad time for this, hahahaha! I'm so hungry right now!!! I just bookmarked this recipe, it sounds so good!! I am definitely going to try it next year at home, I like to have that kind of things ready to eat before leaving for work. Yumm!!! Hehehe, so is it the same cream cheese? But it's been weeks since you first mentioned it D: But if it's still good... then I guess you should really used the remaining. I'll use mine this weekend, mine has been sitting there for 3 weeks, but it's still good :)

It's the same one. I suspect what's left might have gone off by now. I need to stop buying things and then have them sitting there. I had even tried a dip with the cheese but it was mostly for my son and he didn't like it. He said it tasted like yogurt. I've been using too much flour recently, so I held off baking. I am so craving scones of any kind with raisins.

Reaction score
@Winterybella I've no experience with dips that much, I love crudites, but I don't feel like preparing dips from scratch and the store bought ones are not good at all. At least not the ones in my country, the ones found in Dutch stores are not so bad. What did you add to that dip, by the way?

Reaction score
@Winterybella I've no experience with dips that much, I love crudites, but I don't feel like preparing dips from scratch and the store bought ones are not good at all. At least not the ones in my country, the ones found in Dutch stores are not so bad. What did you add to that dip, by the way?

Trellum, I am going to tell you from memory that I fooled around with so many things. I remember adding some vinegar, a drop of milk, grated onion, some pepper sauce, apple cider and some dried parsley. I was just trying to create my own thing. All I distinctly remember is that I was not loving the taste and added some honey and said that would do the trick. It did for me but not for my son.

I am craving scones. I am trying hard to ease off of the flour. I've been using too much recently.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Oh lol, I hadn't seen this until now! Maybe the vinegar had something to do with the whole issue! By the way, I have done that in the past as well ;) I love to add a personal touch to most recipes I try, simply because it's super fun and I just like to think I am indeed improving the recipe :) Don't worry, I am sure the next time it will turn out much better :)

Ask a Question