Nicest Baking Gift

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for lovey-dovey things when it comes to baking and cooking. I thought I'd share this with you all and hope to read about some of your stories as well.

Just a few months ago I had a sudden craving for brownies and I would constantly talk to my boyfriend about that craving. I went over to his place to watch a movie and I got there a little early. When I entered I was so surprised, he was running back and forth making the brownies to surprise me, it looked like he was working so hard. He baked it in the oven, set it to cool and then we tried it. He had a bite and then made a funny face, clearly it was under done. He told me not to eat it because I would get sick. I didn't listen to him, I sat down and finished everything he put on my plate because it was made with love and he made it for me. It tasted just fine, just needed to bake a little longer, but I didn't care. I saw the hard work that went into it and I was pleased with his cooking. :)

What are your love stories?

Reaction score
My grandmother made so many things, but one as a kid I didn't like...olive bread. I ate it because I would never hurt her feelings. Once I grew up and my tastes matured, I would love to have some olive bread baked by her. I am just grateful that I did "enjoy" it with her while she was around.

She also baked cookies, jarred fruit and let me pick fresh grapes. Some memories never fail or fade.

Reaction score
There's nothing like that feeling you get when receiving something from a grandparent - indescribable. I'm glad that you ate it; it was very thoughtful to consider your grandparent's feelings when you were younger. I'm sorry that she is no more, but her memories will last for a long time.

Reaction score
What a sweet story! Both of them! You're right, anything made with love tastes so much better!
I love most when my kids make me something. They put such care into what the choose! They want so much for me to love it, and I always do! I think when you make something for someone out of the goodness of your heart, it shows.

Reaction score
What a sweet story! Both of them! You're right, anything made with love tastes so much better!
I love most when my kids make me something. They put such care into what the choose! They want so much for me to love it, and I always do! I think when you make something for someone out of the goodness of your heart, it shows.

Thank you. Indeed, I feel like you can taste things that are made with hatred; they taste bad. I remember I went to someone's house to help cook, and one of the women there wouldn't let me do anything, she was running around like crazy doing everything on her own and she was very possessive with the pots. In the end, every single morsel was wasted because it taste horribly.

That's sweet when children make things for their parents; I do it for my mom as well. :)

Reaction score
I love stories like this. The fact they went through that trouble to do something sweet for you..... My husband does not bake nor eat sweets (bummer) so he usually will make me dinner instead - by the time I get home from work, there it is on the table! (Sometimes not too edible, but I eat it anyway, like you all!!)

Reaction score
I love stories like this. The fact they went through that trouble to do something sweet for you..... My husband does not bake nor eat sweets (bummer) so he usually will make me dinner instead - by the time I get home from work, there it is on the table! (Sometimes not too edible, but I eat it anyway, like you all!!)

They always say that it's the thought that counts. :) Your husband doesn't eat sweets? Aw, that IS a bummer. :( But making dinner is very sweet. My boyfriend makes dinner for me all the time whenever I go over and his cooking skills are a lot better than his baking skills. :p What would you say your husband's specialty is?

Reaction score
They always say that it's the thought that counts. :) Your husband doesn't eat sweets? Aw, that IS a bummer. :( But making dinner is very sweet. My boyfriend makes dinner for me all the time whenever I go over and his cooking skills are a lot better than his baking skills. :p What would you say your husband's specialty is?

He likes to do the one pot meals, chicken, rice and salsa. He also created a recipe for pork chops, he calls it Mike's Biggins.... thick boneless pork chops with beer, onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the broiler. He is partially disabled now so dinner is once in a while, but I still treasure it so much.

Reaction score
He likes to do the one pot meals, chicken, rice and salsa. He also created a recipe for pork chops, he calls it Mike's Biggins.... thick boneless pork chops with beer, onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the broiler. He is partially disabled now so dinner is once in a while, but I still treasure it so much.

The addition of the beer makes it seem like the ultimate Man-Meal; though, my boyfriend and I are vegetarians :p I'm sorry to hear that he is partially disabled, I'm sure that you cherish the dinners he makes for the both of you very much. :) It's very sweet.

Reaction score
These are really sweet stories. Thank you for sharing them. I haven't really been on the receiving end of a baked gift, but I do bake things for my daughter. Hopefully she'll have some good stories to tell about my baking someday.

Ask a Question