'No - time' dough. Good or bad?

Reaction score
This weekend I experimented with the 'no-time' dough method with donuts.

They cam out very fast and we're decent, but almost too light and soft.

Has anybody else tried this method, and if so what we're your results/opinions?

Reaction score

Has anybody else tried this method, and if so what were your results/opinions?

I’ve used a similar process, straight dough, for bread with good results.

I think it comes down to matching the mixing method to the right product AND using the best flours for added flavor.

These baguettes were all made with straight dough. The crumb and crust are excellent. If you look closely, you’ll see that one baguette crumb is darker than the other.

The darker baguette was made with a mix of two flours: Type 80 and an AP unbleached flour with 11.5% protein and
60% ash.

The Type 80 flour is 12.5% protein and 80% ash. It is also milled like French flour (milled whole, then sifted to 80% ash). Milling of other flours involves separating the wheat kernel into its parts (bran, germ, and endosperm), milking the parts separately, then blending the flours from each part to create specific flours. Whole wheat flour will be blended with all the parts; it’s 100% extraction, meaning 100% of the kennel is used. AP flour is between 60% - 70% extraction, meaning 60% - 70% of the kernel is used.

The decision to blend Type 80 with AP in this straight dough was to add flavor, texture, and color. Without a long bulk fermentation, there’s an absence of flavor. To counter that, you select flours with more characteristics.

Doughnuts are pretty bland. That’s why brioche dough doughnuts are preferred—fat and fermentation = flavor.

I would suggest you just experiment with mixing methods using different flours and products.

IMG_2207.jpeg

Reaction score
You're right about the flavour. They came out pretty tasteless. I'll stick with the usual method, but it was worth an experiment.

Sal

Reaction score

Has anybody else tried this method, and if so what we're your results/opinions?
For many years I’ve used ascorbic acid in bread mixtures. The baked results are excellent. It’s called The Chorleywood Process. It cuts out a need for a second fermentation but the results are as before with a second rising. . This method was soon used in schools as the lesson time was cut drastically! I’m now in France and I pleased to see asorbic acid (vitamin C) is added to flour for bread making.

Reaction score
For many years I’ve used ascorbic acid in bread mixtures. The baked results are excellent. It’s called The Chorleywood Process. It cuts out a need for a second fermentation but the results are as before with a second rising. . This method was soon used in schools as the lesson time was cut drastically! I’m now in France and I pleased to see asorbic acid (vitamin C) is added to flour for bread making.
vit C is gvmnt regulated, I worked for Vie De France and they added a vit C to each batch, the baker just rolled his eyes.

You can leave it out. It was used to prevent scurvy.
A bit too much acid will make the dough ropey.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheryl N.

Latest Threads