Noodles, Mashed Potatoes or Rice

Reaction score
Sometimes, when you're making something with gravy or something like that, only one of three sides really make sense: mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.

In those situations, what is your favorite thing to make?

My favorite is definitely mashed potatoes. But, I only eat them if they're homemade, which is time-consuming and takes a lot of work, so I will often make rice instead. I rarely make noodles to eat with gravy; even though it's good, I generally think of them when making Italian-style dishes.

What about you guys?

Reaction score
I don't use noodles with gravy - unless of course it is stroganauf. Then the sauce is gravy-like.

My husband prefers noodles to rice. He gets tired of rice if I make it too much. But, I actually prefer rice. I also love mashed potatoes but only use gravy with them at thanksgiving. :)

I recently started buying the instant mashed potatoes!! :eek: they are actually very good and quick to make. Lol! I used to buy the steam and mash frozen potatoes to make mashed but my store quit carrying them. :( they were just frozen potatoes already cut and peeled and you just had to microwave them and add butter and milk.

Reaction score
I love rice, followed by potatoes then noodles. Ooooo I am making biriyani tomorrow mmmmmmm

Reaction score
What is biriyani???? I've never heard of it and I am intrigued!!! :)
I think rice, potatoes and noodles are all comfort foods.
At least to me!!! :)

Reaction score
Mommy42 biriyani is a spicey pakistani/Indian rice dish. It is made with either chicken or lamb , a layer of meat then layer of rice made with aromatic spices simply delicious! There are many variations all yummy :)

Reaction score
Sounds really good! Do you have a recipe you can share?
And, wondering, if it is possible to tone back the spices? Or would that
Affect the taste/flavor?
I'm kind of whimpy when it comes to spicy ness! Lol :)

Reaction score
I really don't like the artificial taste of instant mashed potatoes. I'm not even one of those people who avoids processed foods -- I love macaroni and cheese from the box and even use "cream of whatever" soups in some of my recipes. I just notice that artificial taste really badly with the instant potatoes. Maybe I just haven't tried the right brand.

Reaction score
Sounds really good! Do you have a recipe you can share?
And, wondering, if it is possible to tone back the spices? Or would that
Affect the taste/flavor?
I'm kind of whimpy when it comes to spicy ness! Lol :)

Spicy doesn't necessarily have to mean heat, it just means that there are a lot of spices used in the dish itself. It's like heavenly taste explosion. Try this and tell us what you think; it's a pretty basic recipe and you can always omit the chilis if you want to ;)

My husband is a huge fan of mashed potatoes, followed by pasta, then rice. I've never heard of noodles with gravy before either. I was thinking more along the lines of biscuits. Mmm, biscuits and gravy.

Reaction score
I don't know, there are a lot of people who use egg noodles and such alongside gravy. Or with beef tips and rice and those types of dishes.

I also love biscuits and gravy! I add lots of sausage to it...oh yes, and black pepper. Yumminess.

Reaction score
Mashed potatoes all the time, my whole family loves them. We never make them from a box, but don't mind the time and effort that goes into it. If we're not watching calories we'll add butter, milk and sour cream or cream cheese before we mash them, we scale back on the added fat occasionally. Sometimes we mix in cheese, horesradish or even steamed spinach when we make them.

Reaction score
You aren't as lazy as me, lol! On busier nights, I just don't feel like going through the ordeal of mashed potatoes. I sure do love them, though. I've never tried them with steamed spinach, but I bet I would like it. I have tried it with cream cheese, cheese, etc. Sometimes I'll add cheese, bacon bits, sautéed onions, etc....talk about marvelous.

Reaction score
Where I come from, we always have rice, but I am not too crazy about having rice with gravy. I prefer gravy and mashed potatoes. I have never made them, though. My mother always told me that it will be a waste of time, since it takes too long and potatoes are expensive. Maybe I'll try some of those instant ones.

Reaction score
Potatoes aren't expensive. I don't think it's a waste of time, but it just isn't something I feel like doing on your average weeknight. You just have to peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes, then boil them for about 20 minutes. Drain out all of the water, then mash them with a potato masher (you can get one for $1 or so at a dollar store), and add salt, pepper, milk and butter to taste. Just keep adding a little bit of each until you get the consistency that you're looking for. That's the most basic way to make them...of course, there are plenty of variations, but that will get you started. You can also use a hand mixer, but I always prefer mashing them by hand; I like the consistency better.

Reaction score
Potatoes aren't expensive. I don't think it's a waste of time, but it just isn't something I feel like doing on your average weeknight. You just have to peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes, then boil them for about 20 minutes. Drain out all of the water, then mash them with a potato masher (you can get one for $1 or so at a dollar store), and add salt, pepper, milk and butter to taste. Just keep adding a little bit of each until you get the consistency that you're looking for. That's the most basic way to make them...of course, there are plenty of variations, but that will get you started. You can also use a hand mixer, but I always prefer mashing them by hand; I like the consistency better.

Thanks for the tip, but from where I come from, potatoes are expensive. We rarely grow potatoes here, I think. Our climate is just too hot, but when I can, I will definitely try making some mashed potatoes. I have always wanted to try, but I don't know how and my mother won't let me. She has tasted most of my culinary experiments and she is not too comfortable about the expenses brought about by the ingredients. Haha!

Reaction score
This is definitely a tough one but I would probably pick mashed potatoes but I really love all three. It definitely depends on what the rest of the meal is.

Reaction score
Ahh, I got ya. Where do you live? They're super cheap here. You should try it sometime, though. With a name like Cheesy Potatoes, you certainly have to make some sometime. :)

Randee - I know what you mean -- it is a tough choice, isn't it!?

Reaction score
It really depends on what I'm making, but majority of the time I like to make rice with my dishes. When all else fails, I go with rice as a side dish. Plus, the variations you could do with rice are awesome. You can throw some raisins in there for some extra flavor, cook it with chicken stock, etc.

Reaction score
Ahh, I got ya. Where do you live? They're super cheap here. You should try it sometime, though. With a name like Cheesy Potatoes, you certainly have to make some sometime. :)

Randee - I know what you mean -- it is a tough choice, isn't it!?

I live in the Philippines. I get what you mean. I love potatoes, but they're a bit expensive here. I'll set aside a bit of my allowance so that I can buy some precious potatoes and make some mashed potatoes! I'm sure she'll be convinced to allow me to experiment with potatoes once she tastes them!

Reaction score
Mashed potatoes, hands down. I love to add all sorts of seasonings and flavors in as well. Oh and don't forget sour cream and cheese. Now I am craving Mashed potatoes.

Ask a Question