NorCalBaker, you're in my thoughts with those wildfires

Reaction score
I realized, I don't know your actual name or exactly where you live, but I saw that you said the effect from the fires was bad two days ago, and know it's gotten worse. Hope more than anything else that you are safe and well, whether or not you've had to evacuate. Please, if there's anything I can do from Florida, let me know.

Ann Carrigan
(e-mail address removed)

(If anyone here has heard from her off-site, please let us know if she's OK)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just read the same post too, I hope everything is ok @Norcalbaker59. Stay safe!

Power is still down, so no baking. I'm not sure if we're going to have to evacuate. About 1500 homes have burn already. The winds spread the fire so about 10 fires burning now...it is what it is.

Reaction score
I am concerned as well. I know CA and it looked bad on Monday. She was so close to 2 fires, and that was just the beginning of it! I have been coming here to see if she posted. She is definitely still without power, and it is still going strong. She may have had to evacuate as well. Those winds were super strong in the video's I saw. And the news said it was moving a football field every 3 seconds, which is truly scary. I hope she is safe and hope she still has a home to come home to. She has been such a patient and giving person with me. I wish her all the best in this terrible event.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I evacuated. Literally fires are burning in every direction In the valley. The road closures due to encroaching fires have reduced the escape routes to two for my town (Rutherford, CA). Smoke and ash is so thick you can't see the sky. No power. No cell service.

Emergency first responders still have most of the resources on rescue as getting people and livestock out of these rural areas has to be the priority. So zero to 2% containment on some 22 fires that have spread to four counties now. And wind conditions over next couple of days are expected to move the fires faster. So many fires in all directions so no matter which way the wind, a fire will be pushed toward my house.

So I grabbed a couple changes of clothes, medication, and my baking scale and went to my brother's house near Berkeley. The sky is overcast with smoke cover here too.

Lots of very kind people stepping in to help with large animals like horses, sheep, and cows. It's wine country, but we still love our animals here.

The state has never experienced a fire storm like this. They say it will be days before we can get back home, for those who will have a home standing.

Reaction score
Oh, what a relief to hear from you. I'm so sorry for what you and your community are going through.

The "and my baking scale" made me smile. Priorities.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I evacuated. Literally fires are burning in every direction In the valley. The road closures due to encroaching fires have reduced the escape routes to two for my town (Rutherford, CA). Smoke and ash is so thick you can't see the sky. No power. No cell service.

Emergency first responders still have most of the resources on rescue as getting people and livestock out of these rural areas has to be the priority. So zero to 2% containment on some 22 fires that have spread to four counties now. And wind conditions over next couple of days are expected to move the fires faster. So many fires in all directions so no matter which way the wind, a fire will be pushed toward my house.

So I grabbed a couple changes of clothes, medication, and my baking scale and went to my brother's house near Berkeley. The sky is overcast with smoke cover here too.

Lots of very kind people stepping in to help with large animals like horses, sheep, and cows. It's wine country, but we still love our animals here.

The state has never experienced a fire storm like this. They say it will be days before we can get back home, for those who will have a home standing.

Reaction score
I too am glad to hear from you and that you are safe. It went from big to gigantic ever so fast. Please keep us updated on the return to your home. Many years in CA, so I know your landscape and the trouble you might be in.

I talked to the granddaughter of the bakery. They are not the ones that I got this recipe from. There may have been other Polish bakeries there, but they are all gone and they don't belong to this church now and in the past. I have hit a dead end in to how I got this, in fact the granddaughter said " you are lucky you got that recipe". I truly believe I am. The powers that be work in mysterious ways eh?

I wish I could send you some of this OR rain ...................but we need it too. It was a terribly hot summer, something OR is not used too.

Very glad you are safe, I will send good thoughts that your house is intact when you return.............stay in touch when you can.

I am making today grandma's "city chicken" today. Dedicated it to you. The smell takes me to an old time, a very good time for me. Super work intensive, I don't know how Grandma made it for so many people!! It is labor intensive for one person.

Stay in contact, and hope that you can go home, to a home.

Reaction score
Glad you are doing ok.

I'm familiar with the area. I never figured out how SO many people get around with so FEW roads!!!!
I'm used to Texas where there's 50 different ways to get to where you want to go.

Definitely in CA there are only 2 options, IF you are lucky (such a lack of roadways). And if those get cut off........well..........

Reaction score
Still not home yet. The fire is on the valley floor near my house. But the good news is that fire became a top priority for fire fighters today. So they hit it from the air and land. The winds shifted in our favor and died down. They expect to have the fire contained by Friday if the weather and wind conditions hold.

This fire storm is the worst in California history. So many lives lost. Sadly, most who died were elderly. The fire moved so fast they were overwhelmed by flames and smoke.

In some urban neighborhoods it looks like a bomb went off. There’s nothing but ash. It’s amazing people got out at all.

Reaction score
Good to hear from you. Yes the news shows a lot of total destruction. Lots of videos, some very heartbreaking stories of survival, some of not making it out in time. A few were saved by jumping in the pool, but not all survived even that.

Glad the weather has gotten better, hope it stays that way. Yes it is a terrible large fire.

Let's hope you can go home by weeks end. Let us know ok?

Reaction score
I will never understand that a state that has one side completely dominated by water, has SO many fires.........and nobody even uses that water source!

Reaction score
I will never understand that a state that has one side completely dominated by water, has SO many fires.........and nobody even uses that water source!

Yes, water policy here is a very controversial and contentious issue. Desalination is something they are just now trying.

Reaction score
I’m home! My house is still standing. There’s an active fire still burning on the hill behind me. But firemen said they have a fire break in place and did back burns to keep the fire spreading to the houses here.

The smoke is heavy. Local govt says the air quality is very bad, so to limit time outside and wear N95 rated face mask when outdoors. Schools are still closed to keep children from bad air exposure. A couple of wineries in the area have reopened their tasting rooms. More so because everyone needs some sense of normalcy.

They had set up a helicopter staging area in the vineyard behind my house. That put them very close to the fire. So they were able to fill up the helicopters with fire retardant and spread it on the fire break areas within a couple of minutes.

First Responders are nothing short of brave and amazing! They literally saved thousands of lives and homes here!

My power is on. But verything in my fridge is spoiled since there was no power here for several days. The water is off right now. I’m not sure why, but it is. So I will be eating out for a day or two. But it’s good to be home.

When the fires stared, 75% of the crops had been harvested. I walked into the vineyard. A lot of the fruit is still on the vine. What was not harvested is totally destroyed. Covered in ash and shriveled.

So much wildlife is displaced. We have a a lot of deer, rabbit, fox, coyote, skunk, and raccoon around here. The deer, coyote, and fox tend to stay on the back side of the property closer to the mountain. And they are usually only out in the early morning hours and at dusk. But they are up near the road at mid-day. Fox aren’t used to being near people and roads. A couple have been hit trying to cross the highway. It’s really sad.

Reaction score
So glad you are home! I can't imagine the relief you must feel. You still have a ways to go to be back to "normal" ie water, food, clean up, but the main thing is that you and your house are safe!

Yes the wildlife has it very hard now. I can't imagine the fear they went through and the trauma of their "home" gone. I hope everyone drives a little slower for the animals sake.

That was/is a huge crisis with long lasting effects to all. I imagine you are craving getting back to baking again. But for now just rest, or go have a glass of local wine!

Reaction score
I'm so glad your house was spared. Please be very careful about your lungs, breathing that smoky air. My boyfriend just arrived in Oakland visiting an old friend, and he says they can smell the smoke.

Reaction score
So glad you are home! I can't imagine the relief you must feel. You still have a ways to go to be back to "normal" ie water, food, clean up, but the main thing is that you and your house are safe!

Yes the wildlife has it very hard now. I can't imagine the fear they went through and the trauma of their "home" gone. I hope everyone drives a little slower for the animals sake.

That was/is a huge crisis with long lasting effects to all. I imagine you are craving getting back to baking again. But for now just rest, or go have a glass of local wine!

Yes, I want to get back to my baking. I cleaned my fridge out. Tomorrow I shop. Hopefully I will be baking by next week. Thank you for you kind words.

Reaction score
I'm so glad your house was spared. Please be very careful about your lungs, breathing that smoky air. My boyfriend just arrived in Oakland visiting an old friend, and he says they can smell the smoke.

Yes, the smoke is really awful. The counties are telling people not to sift through the ashes of there homes as it’s toxic. There’s rain in the forecast for Thursday and Friday. Hopefully that will help extinguish the fires.

Ask a Question