Number Cake Tin Newbie!

Reaction score
Hello!

I have bought a number 1 shaped cake tin to make my little boys' birthday cake.

I have watched a few tutorials online and most of them show just icing the top of it and decorating. I assumed that I would be slicing it in half, filling with cream and jam and then put the lid back on and ice. Is this not really the way it's done? Will it be a bit fiddly?

I thought it might be a bit dry if it doesn't have the middle part?

Sorry - I'm a newbie with shaped tins!!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Welcome to Baking Forums! :)

You can do whatever you like - that's the great thing about baking :D I guess it depends on how deep the cake will be - the thinner it is the more difficult it would be to slice. Of course you could always bake two separate cakes in the tin (one after another) , but you would probably need to trim them down to get a nice finish.

If you do cut the cake, make sure you do it when the cake is cold otherwise it will be too soft and crumbly. Putting it in the fridge first would be your best bet. The thing you want to be most careful of is not to break the top layer when you lift it on and off - maybe use a baking tray to slide it off/on if you have a completely flat one.

To be honest you don't need to add a filling; presumably there will be a lot of icing, so it may not be necessary. However I am a big fan of as much frosting and filling as possible!

Reaction score
I agree with Becky, you don't need filling if you don't want it.

If you are afraid the cake will be dry, and you aren't going to use filling, then you can do one of two things....

1. Add a small box of dry instant pudding mix to the cake batter (vanilla usually works).
2. Use a simple syrup, flavored or not, and soak the cake with a bit of it an hour before frosting the cake.

Regardless of what you do, put plastic wrap over the cake and put in the fridge or the freezer for an hour before frosting it. This will help keep the cake from falling apart while frosting it.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your replies!
Can't wait to start.....maybe I'll do a practice run first!
x

Ask a Question