Number cake toppers

Reaction score
hi all. Really hope someone can help.

Tried making some number cake toppers for a birthday cake.
Watched quite a few tutorials and added some tylose to some fondant. Rolled out my fondant like a sausage and curved in to the shape of my numbers (6&5) . Inserted wooden skewers and left to dry. Picked them up and they just cracked and broke.
The fondant already had a bit of a cracked finish anyway as soon as I created curves in the sausage I had rolled.
Don't know where I'm going wrong.
Help the birthday is on Saturday and I have no cake topper!

Reaction score
hi all. Really hope someone can help.

Tried making some number cake toppers for a birthday cake.
Watched quite a few tutorials and added some tylose to some fondant. Rolled out my fondant like a sausage and curved in to the shape of my numbers (6&5) . Inserted wooden skewers and left to dry. Picked them up and they just cracked and broke.
The fondant already had a bit of a cracked finish anyway as soon as I created curves in the sausage I had rolled.
Don't know where I'm going wrong.
Help the birthday is on Saturday and I have no cake topper!

Medium: I prefer to use a 50-50 fondant and gumpaste blend for 3-D decorations. Unlike adding tylose powder, there's no guesswork. I prefer Fat Daddio fondant and gum paste. Brand matters.

A 50-50 blend can be colored with gel food coloring and pedal dust.

Like gum paste, a 50-50 blend will dry rigid. But 50-50 blend is more durable than straight gumpaste.

Forming letters/numbers: I don't like rolled sausage numbers or letters as it's near impossible to get an even thickness. Where the fondant is thinner, it's going to be weak.

I use a rolling pin to create a block 3/4" to 1" thick, then use a cookie cutter to cut out my letters/numbers.

Make decorations ahead of time to allow for thorough drying. It will take at least two days to dry out. Store in a box, in dry cool dark place. Sunlight will fade a colored fondant decoration within a couple of hours.

Securing 3-D Letter/Numbers to cake: I do not like skewers for supports. I prefer flat wood toothpicks or craft picks (link below to what I'm referring to).

There's two ways to insert supports.

A) Roll the 50-50 blend to the desired thickness. Cut out the letter with a cookie-cutter or template. Then gently insert a flat wood picks into the center of the bottom of the letter. Make sure enough of the toothpick is inserted into the decoration to provide stability. I always use two flat wood picks to ensue stability and balance. Dry the decoration on a flat surface for 24 to 48 hours depending on thickness. Dry in a dry cool area away from direct light.

B) Roll the gumpaste or 50-50 blend to HALF the desired thickness. Cut out two letters. Place one letter backside up. Gently press two flat wood toothpicks on to the letter. Leave enough toothpick exposed from the bottom to stick into the cake. With a fine brush, apply a thin coat of edible glue over letter. Then carefully place the second letter backside down over the first letter. Gently press. Gently smooth over the seam.

Dry the decoration on a flat surface for 24 to 48 hours depending on thickness. Dry in a dry cool area away from direct light.

If the cake is covered in buttercream instead of fondant, insert the numbers at the last minute. Moisture is the bane of fondant/gumpaste.

Link to 2 recipes for edible glue.

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/11/how-to-make-edible-glue/

Flat wood picks

https://www.michaels.com/creatology-wood-craft-picks/10422268.html

https://www.amazon.com/Don-Palillo-Spanish-Toothpicks-toothpicks/dp/B003L7N7I6

Reaction score
I prefer chocolate molds............

They come in all shapes and sizes and styles. You can use any kind of chocolate and if you white chocolate, you can color it any color you want. You can also use edible glitter and edible glitter paints on them to make them stand out more.

You can get numbers, letters, and now they have smilies and emoji's.

90-14243.jpg

8ce48f72-f03a-4c24-9d7c-a45aa0c2d2d9.jpg

Ask a Question