Nut Butter, Cookie Butter

Reaction score
The most common nut butter is probably peanut butter. I've tried almond butter once, when I was staying over at a friend's house whose parents are probably huge fans of shopping at niche homestyle-everything markets. The almond butter was more like coarsely ground-up almonds preserved in oil, but I think with a little more milling it could have been something sublime. Hazelnut, of course, really lends itself to becoming a nut butter--I'm sure there's other kinds. The homestyle peanut butter at the supermarket I go to (the kind that technically isn't supposed to have a brand--like, the supermarket's own brand) is suspiciously gummy--at least, it would be suspicious if I didn't like it--in texture, and maybe has a little too much sugar for some people's tastes...but it all comes out like cookie butter. Cookie butter is like, I'm guessing, already-baked cookies that for some reason are ground up into a paste--I've seen the jars around, and have tried it before.

Would you use cookie butter for decorating? Nut butter? Crunchy, creamy, homestyle--or what? What do you like to cut it with, to make an frosting or icing?

Reaction score
I don't think I would use cookie butter or peanut butter...I feel like that could be really heavy and hard to work with on top of whatever else you're already making that has some sweetness to it, presumably. I might use a very light amount of hazelnut (Countless people who love Nutella have to be on to something, right? ;) ) but I doubt I use too many others.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Nutella. I have experimented cooking with Nutella and have to say that its awesome to cook with. It has the right thickness to not be so clumpy yet all the ingredients mix together well.

Reaction score
I have had cookie butter from a local grocery store in my area and I honestly don't know what the hype is...I have tried it multiple times and while it is great on the first bite, it gets old after awhile. I find that I don't get sick of peanut butter as quickly, if at all.

With that said, I would probably only use cookie butter SPARINGLY (like if I was to mix a tiny bit in with regular frosting or icing). I would maybe do peanut butter, but I think the texture would come out all funky.

Ask a Question