Odd Cakes

Reaction score
I definitely have a sense of humor, and I love a good laugh. However, for me personally, I feel like these cakes are just too odd for me.
What do you think about odd or different cakes? Do you think they are fun and should be embraced? Or do you think more tradtional cakes are the way to go, and leave the humor for the birthday card, baby shower card, wedding card ect...?
For me, I like a more traditional cake. I can give a gag gift, or a funny card on my own, but a cake is something everyone sees and shares. I would never want to offend anyone with a bizzarre cake. And personally, I find some of the following cake pictures offensive.
What is your opinion on "out there" cakes?
weird_birthday_cakes_07.jpg

weird_birthday_cakes_21.jpg
weird_birthday_cakes_20.jpg

I do not own these pictures. The source of these photos I found on this site: http://acidcow.com/pics/12390-weird-birthday-cakes-21-pics.html

Reaction score
That is just plain. I can not imagine any guest wanting a silce of those cakes. I find this a bit rude and in poor taste.

Reaction score
Have you seen the "stripper barbie" one floating around that was apparently someone's birthday cake for their husband? I don't know...I mean I like to think that I have a good sense of humour and I don't get offended or uptight about those things, but it's not the kind of expression I would personally want for that sort of humour. I guess to each their own, though.

Reaction score
I have seen some good humorous cakes that were well crafted. This particular group of cakes is gross and offensive. I can deal with a funny cake if it's made with skill and looks good.

Reaction score
I think this ramen noodle cake is an example of a funny, oddball cake that's actually cute. I would love a ramen cake.

14537190952d8447afc33e030b8db6f5.jpg

Reaction score
Those first 3 cakes are pushing the envelop too far but the Ramen noodles cake is cute. I've also seen a toilet and a garden cake with worms in the past and thought they were a bit much but these cakes "take the cake" LOL I guess there's something out there for everyone though.

Reaction score
The cat litter cake with the Tootsie Roll turds that someone posted around here a while ago is pretty gross. It's hard to look at it and not think of cat feces.
I don't get the point of making caking that actually discourage you from eating them by making you lose your appetite.

Reaction score
All depends on what the person receiving the cake sense of humour is like really. I wouldnt personally like the 3 orignally posted cakes given to me-but each to their own,lol.

Reaction score
I like the Ramen Noodle cake idea. Things like that, that are harmless but unique to the person who is receiving the cake are great ideas, but I think some cakes push the envelope a little too far for that "shock-factor". Everyone has their own sense of humor, so some ideas like the stripper barbie or a diaper cake would be hilarious to some, but they're a little too raunchy for me. I'm especially thinking this about a cake that I assume will be presented in front of a lot of people at a party, like bridal or baby showers, where several generations and humor-styles are in attendance. I don't know how my grandmother would react to a cake topped with "The Miracle of Birth." There might be several people who will pass on a slice of that cake...

Reaction score
I agree with you SmartPea... Things can be taken too far. I guess it depends on the person and the environment. These are things that cake artists (and buyers alike) really need to take into consideration here.

Reaction score
Haha, I've seen some funny cakes in my time, I think some of them are really creative. Some of them are downright weird and I don't think I'd be able to eat a birth cake with a baby being born, no matter how tasty it looked!

Reaction score
Haha, I've seen some funny cakes in my time, I think some of them are really creative. Some of them are downright weird and I don't think I'd be able to eat a birth cake with a baby being born, no matter how tasty it looked!

Not only is the birth cake gross but it's a little weird that they didn't make a little hospital gown for her. Maybe they went to one of those erotic bakeries because I can't see Walmart making a nude cake.

Reaction score
They definitely make you think... Not only where did they get these cakes but what were they thinking when they got them LOL

Ask a Question