Oil or Butter?

Reaction score
Some cake baking recipes tell you that you can either use oil or butter. I've found that if I ever choose oil, the cake turns into a greasy disaster. What experiences have you had? What is your preference?

Reaction score
I always prefer butter for the taste and texture, although there are some recipes where oil works really well and makes the cake really moist! Carrot cake is one particular example of that, don't think I've ever made it using butter.

Reaction score
I always prefer butter for the taste and texture, although there are some recipes where oil works really well and makes the cake really moist! Carrot cake is one particular example of that, don't think I've ever made it using butter.

Thanks for your reply. I always find the butter adds much more flavor to the cake, and a rich color to the mix. I will have to try oil in a carrot cake mix. I usually just use butter. Thank you for your help. :)

Reaction score
I have tried a recipe cake which uses oil instead of butter and the cake turns out to be just right and it is not too greasy. But I would prefer using butter because the taste is better and it smells good too. So, I think if your cake turns out to be too greasy for you then maybe you have to try and cut down the oil and see how it goes.

Reaction score
The only red velvet cake I ever found palatable was made with butter instead of oil. My personal feeling on the subject is, if you're going to eat some cake it might as well be the best tasting cake you can make.

Reaction score
I use butter. It has a much better taste. I once used oil to make cookies and they tasted terrible. All I could taste was oil.

Reaction score
I didn't realize that you could actually substitute the oil for butter. I will try this on my next cake for sure. Do you use the same amount of butter as oil?

Reaction score
For a while, I went through a phase of always subsituting butter for oil, but now I don't use it unless the recipe calls for it. I'm always a bit worried that it will ruin the consistancy. Besides, part of the reason I didn't like to use butter was because I didn't know how to cream it properly so that it blended into the mixture well, but I've mastered that now. Oil can be good in some things, like chocolate cake, but otherwise I stick to butter.

Reaction score
It depends on the cake. For traditional, two-layer cakes, I stick with oil. Oil makes them moist. For a bundt cake, I go with butter. Butter tends to enhance the flavor greatly.

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used butter in a cake, with the exception of pound cake. Then again, when I am making cakes I usually just use the boxed mixes which call for oil. I've never really had a problem with them being too oily though. In fact I had always heard to add some extra oil and an extra egg for a really moist cake. With butter being more expensive I try not to use it in place of inexpensive vegetable oil whenever possible.

Reaction score
We kinda believed the like that margarine was just as good if not better then butter. When we accidentally bought butter a few months ago. We were instantly hooked as it tasted hundred times better.

Plus, with a little research I found that margarine isn't all the healthy for you!

Ask a Question