Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding

Reaction score
I've had rice pudding on the brain lately, as well as bread pudding. This is a very easy recipe, and the ingredients are often on hand in most kitchens, so it's a good last minute treat when you want something that's not a lot of work and doesn't require ingredients you need to run to the store to get. It's from one of my favorite recipe sites, Taste of Home, and here's the link. I never buy 2% milk and always just substitute regular milk for it in recipes, without any issues. I prefer my rice pudding a bit creamier, and the regular milk works well for that purpose.
Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
MAKES: 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Ground cinnamon, optional
Nutritional Facts

3/4 cup: 208 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein

Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
  2. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Add raisins and vanilla; cover and bake for 15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Serve warm or chilled. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Old Fashioned Rice Pudding in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p35

Reaction score
Yum!!! My mom used to make rice pudding when I was little. Funny how a recipe or mention of a food can take you right back to childhood! Great memories! I hadn't thought about rice pudding in forever! :)

Reaction score
We have an array of dessert or pastry using rice as the main ingredient but this is the first time I've heard of rice pudding. Well, it looks delicious and probably the cinnamon would give it the tang. Maybe I can try that recipe but over here, we use coconut milk instead of real milk - that is the traditional way of cooking rice for a snack food like rice cake and some other delicacies. By the way, we live in the suburban town of Cainta which specializes in sweet delicacies like rice cake, coco jam, etc.

Reaction score
We have an array of dessert or pastry using rice as the main ingredient but this is the first time I've heard of rice pudding. Well, it looks delicious and probably the cinnamon would give it the tang. Maybe I can try that recipe but over here, we use coconut milk instead of real milk - that is the traditional way of cooking rice for a snack food like rice cake and some other delicacies. By the way, we live in the suburban town of Cainta which specializes in sweet delicacies like rice cake, coco jam, etc.

I'm sure coconut milk would make it extra special. I might have to try that in the future. If I do, I'll probably add in some flaked coconut, and for some reason, I'm now thinking that would be good with some shaved chocolate on top, probably dark chocolate. I think I'd like that with some orange added, as well.

Reaction score
@Diane Lane, if only you are here, I would give you a sample of our "pinipig" rice cake. Pinipig is the pounded glutinous rice. Imagine a grain of rice that you pound in a mortar, it will look flat. But the glutinous rice is fresh so the color is green. Those flat green grains are the main ingredient of that special pinipig rice cake which tastes divine. That's the best delicacy in one of the small delicacy factories here.

From the analysis of my husband, the only ingredients of the rice pudding are glutinous rice, coconut milk, brown sugar. I have to agree because that's what it appears to be.

PS. From what I know, any sour flavor like orange is not good to be combined with coconut milk because it will ferment (spoiled).

Reaction score
Rice pudding definitely reminds me of my childhood - one of those comfort foods that takes me back! It's been years since I've made it though!

I love that it's one of those recipes that consists of pantry staples!

Ask a Question