On Vacation, do you cook?

Reaction score
When my husband and I go on vacation, we love to go out to eat. We like to try the local resturaunts, and experience the culture and atmosphere of where we are at.
Recently, my husband's job asked him to go to another state for a week to do a job. I decided to tag along. We decided to turn his work week, into a mini vacation. Why not? We got to be in a different state, and stay in a hotel his company paid for.
Because he had to work most of the time, we didn't get to go out on the town and experience new resturaunts as much as we thought we might.
I did however bring my slow cooker (crock pot) and I made homemade meals for dinner for when he got back to the hotel after work.
It was so great! We had a lot of fun eating homemade meals in the hotel. It sounds silly, but we enjoyed it. Granted, it wasn't really a vacation, it was still fun to go somewhere different. Even though it was my own cooking, it was fun to eat it somewhere new.
What about you? Do you cook when you go on vacation, or do you like to eat your meals out?

Reaction score
We rarely go out to eat so doing so on vacation is a real treat. What usually happens, though, Is I book a room featuring a microwave and refrigerator. Restaurant meals are so large that we order the main course and ask for the To-Go-Box (I call them "bowser boxes") at the same time.

We'll eat some of the main course, then slide what is left into the box while waiting for dessert. We usually end up with enough left overs for lunch the next day!

We end up with a blend of restaurant cooking and home-like cooking, since we warm p the left overs in the microwave.
It's still fun, interesting, and restful!

Reaction score
We usually go out to eat all the time on vacation. However, we may pack sandwiches if we're going hiking or to the beach. Sometimes, we, too warm up leftovers from the restaurant in the motel microwave. We don't want anything to go to waste.

Reaction score
We go out to eat while on vacation. I never cook on my vacations. I order pizza or room service at the hotel. I like to relax the whole time. I get to go on a vacation probably once a year.

Reaction score
I love exploring the local mom and pop restaurants too. It is also fun if you can either bbq and enjoy the great outdoors while you are on vacation or be creative like you with the mobile crock pot. You can do a bit of both and still have a great time. Even if you are in a hotel, it is nice to have food in the room you can prepare since many have refrigerators and you dont have to rely on room service. Its also fun to try local markets to try breads, desserts or even lunch meats and cheeses.

Reaction score
I don't go on that many trips, but when I do, I cook at least part of the time so that I have a little more money left for souvenirs and tickets to attractions.
I think you can do both, cook some of your meals and go out for some of your meals.

Reaction score
Most times on vacation I always tend to cook breakfast because its a easy meal and not so time consuming. But for lunch and dinner i will go out to eat most times.

Reaction score
I almost always wind up cooking on vacation. We usually rent a condo or a extended stay hotel and I cook simple meals. I don'treally like it. But since I don't like to eat fast food or eat out period what's the alternative?

Reaction score
With the exception of breakfast we never cook on vacation. And even then the breakfast "cooking" is more like pouring some cereal or toasting a bagel. As other posters mentioned we always get a refrigerator and microwave and if we have the space I even travel with a small toaster so we can toast bagels, english muffins, etc.

Reaction score
I rarely cook when I go on vacation and if I do it's usually breakfast. My husband and I do not get to take a vacation very often, maybe once or twice a year, so when we do we try to relax as much as possible . As much as I enjoy cooking, I feel like it takes away from time that could be spent trying new activities or exploring what that place of vacation has to offer because chances are we won't be going back to the same place anytime soon.
Since I do most of the the cooking at home, I welcome any opportunity not only to be catered to but maybe to try a new dish; something that I would not normally make.

Reaction score
We went on a 13-day vacation across the country in February, and I didn't cook one bit. We ate the free breakfasts at the hotels and ate out the rest of the time. It was nice, but I did miss cooking and was happy to come home and cook.

Reaction score
We rarely ever go on real vacations that require booking a hotel room as we prefer to rent a cabin instead. We cook most of our own meals and then hit up restaurants on the last day as we are traveling back home. For a while we were big penny pinchers, but we are planning a nice vacation for next year.

Reaction score
Vacation for me is the best time to cook! I love to bake goodies while on vacation, but sadly this results in a massive amount of weight gain for me. Sometimes I feel it's worth it...heh.

Reaction score
When my husband and I go on vacation, we love to go out to eat. We like to try the local resturaunts, and experience the culture and atmosphere of where we are at.
Recently, my husband's job asked him to go to another state for a week to do a job. I decided to tag along. We decided to turn his work week, into a mini vacation. Why not? We got to be in a different state, and stay in a hotel his company paid for.
Because he had to work most of the time, we didn't get to go out on the town and experience new resturaunts as much as we thought we might.
I did however bring my slow cooker (crock pot) and I made homemade meals for dinner for when he got back to the hotel after work.
It was so great! We had a lot of fun eating homemade meals in the hotel. It sounds silly, but we enjoyed it. Granted, it wasn't really a vacation, it was still fun to go somewhere different. Even though it was my own cooking, it was fun to eat it somewhere new.
What about you? Do you cook when you go on vacation, or do you like to eat your meals out?
When we go on vacation I normally don't cook. I love to eat out and try new things plus if were on a vacation... so am I !!! As a mom that's part of my "job" so I like to take a break from everything. :) If we stay in a time share that has a kitchen then I may make a quick lunch or something like that but no major cooking!
There's plenty of time for that every other day of the year right?? :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
My family often does to some extent. When we go to the coast we like to get a room that has a kitchen in it so we don't have to go out to eat for every meal. If you want to stay 3-4 nights, it really adds up, so being able to cook regular food in the room helps make it affordable to stay for more than 1-2 nights.

Reaction score
For me it really depends on the type of vacation and the cooking facilities if any that are available where we are staying. Most of the time if we stay at a hotel there aren't facilities that allow you to cook so then we are relegated to restaurant eating - not a bad thing - but yes, for me it is pretty dependent on the type of accommodation.

I do like to do cooking classes though when I travel! I find it interesting learning from a local and getting to cook a dish that is relevant to the area.

Reaction score
My husband is getting ready to go on a golf trip over the weekend and we made him a lot of food to take on the trip. I made a bunch of breakfast burritos and cookies and he made some ready to heat hamburgers to take along. He will not have to spend much on food while he is gone so he can use his spending money for fun stuff.

Reaction score
I have not had an official vacation in more than twenty years. During that time I have worked for myself and while my work took me traveling very often, I never had a holiday. The times I tried to put in some extra days it never worked out. The holidays I remember before that period, I never wanted to cook. I wanted to kick back and eat out. Once I went to New York more than 20 years ago and one day in my vacation I cooked. I was staying with friends. My older friend of the family t liked my cooking so much she wanted me to cook every day. I have never gone back since:).

Reaction score
I've never really "vacationed" so I can't say, but on "Holiday" I'm always the chef because everyone else tends to be lazy/doesn't feel like making things.

And rather than heat up XXX dishes in the microwave, I like baking/making/cooking different meals so I can eat them. The fact there is more to go around/left overs is a bonus.

I always get saddled with cooking duty anyways, since my life experience has been all fast food/restaurant business work and cooking from a menu. I like to explore and make my own dishes which often go over well, and most of my experiments happen on 'vacations'/'holidays'

So, yeah, I guess I do.

Not that I mind one bit though. I'd rather do it myself.

Reaction score
My family loves to eat only at home rather than outside in a restaurant or other eating places. And since me and my mom had this passion for cooking we are always the chef cooking for them. And during vacation where everybody is at home the more I am busy cooking for our foods to eat while bonding together.

Ask a Question