Only sweet Apples for a Pie

Reaction score
Hi guys,
The problem is: I have to bake austrian Apple "Strudel" this afternoon but the apples I got are sweet and almost tasteless...so it probably won't taste that grand...
do you have any idea how I could maybe spice the Pie to cover the lack of proper apples, or pickle them somehow...
many thanks
Agrajag

Reaction score
Hi guys,
The problem is: I have to bake austrian Apple "Strudel" this afternoon but the apples I got are sweet and almost tasteless...so it probably won't taste that grand...
do you have any idea how I could maybe spice the Pie to cover the lack of proper apples, or pickle them somehow...
many thanks
Agrajag

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'd be surprised at how much apples can change in flavour when they're cooked! In terms of adding flavours to the filling, when I have made it in the past I have added lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (you don't need much of the last two - they're very strong flavours), currants, and of course brown sugar. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Yes, Becky is right. When you bake fruit, even the most "tasteless" fruit will get "fruity".

Usually, unless the fruit is too "green", it should bake up with plenty of flavor.

For me, I prefer cinnamon and cloves. Mmmmmm

Reaction score
Even though most baked apple recipes call for crisper, more tart apples, I usually like to use a mixture, rather than all tart ones. One of my favorites to use is golden delicious (also one of my favorites to eat raw, and also as chips), and I think they complement the tarter apples just fine in baked goods. I love combining apples with the spices and other ingredients @Becky and @ChesterV mentioned.

Reaction score
I' bought some Macintosh apples for a pie,but I ate them all first :) I'm going to use them in the next apple pie,there a bit sweeter than the granny smiths that I had been using

Ask a Question