Opera cake

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I am making Opera cake, which is a French cake consisting of Joconde (almond sponge) brushed with coffee syrup and layered with alternating layers of sponge French coffee buttetcream, ganache and a chocolate glaze on top.

I am having an issue with my Joconde sponge. I know how to make sponge cakes but this coes out quite tacky and sticky on top. I did read that this happens when the cake is covered or stored when it is still warm, but I am always letting it cool completely and I'm not covering it.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

This is the recipe I am using.

Reaction score
Hi Keren!

Have you tried sprinkling the top of the joconde with powdered sugar and covering with parchment paper, flip it and do the same with the bottom? that can prevent the stickyness for some biscuits like joconde.

The joconde for the Opera cake must be a really thin layer, also make sure is fully cooked by gently pressing the top of the sponge, if you know how to bake them you will know that if the sponge comes back after pressing then it's ready.

Hope it helps!

Mila
ps: first post here too!:D

Reaction score
Hi Mila,

Welcome and thank you for your reply.
I will try the icing sugar next time. I will be making another one in about a week. I bake them in a sheet pan lined with baking parchment and they spring back when they are completely baked.

I am a Patisserie student, and this is one of my assignments. Although I am not getting graded on the taste, it's more how it's served and displayed.

I also have to make enough to serve 10 portions.
What size is a standard portion?
The recipe says it makes 8-10 portions, but this recipe only seems to make 8 decent portions. I know I will have to alter the recipe to make more.

I also have to show atleast 2 modern or contempory garnishes. Apart from the writing and edible gold leaf I'm a little stuck in finding something that would be classed as modern/contemporary to suit an Opera cake.

If you have any more advice that would greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Keren

Ask a Question