Orange brulee tart

Reaction score
Fun and simple tart to make. They don't mention in recipes how much of a mess the caramelized top makes when cutting, so no pictures of a slice! Now that I think about it, maybe could've used less sugar for the caramelized top to make a thinner layer that's easier to cut through...

IMG_20200417_213426[1].jpg

Reaction score
@Cahoot that looks really delicious!! Why do you think you should’ve used less sugar? The top looks good to me. Does not look too thick at all. I like a thin top like that. I think a lot of people make the mistake of making it too thick. I don’t like it too thick

I love brulée I don’t think I’ve ever made one though. I usually do a lemon cream or curd tart. Or passionfruit. Or I do panna cotta. Orange Brulée sounds really good though. Best Brulé I ever had was in Spokane Washington. The texture was absolutely perfect creamy yet light. But what really stood out was the top caramelized top was so perfect OMG. Not too thin, not too thick That perfect crunch. I was in town for five days for my niece’s wedding. I went to this restaurant every evening just for the Brulée.

Reaction score
@Cahoot that looks really delicious!! Why do you think you should’ve used less sugar? The top looks good to me. Does not look too thick at all. I like a thin top like that. I think a lot of people make the mistake of making it too thick. I don’t like it too thick

I love brulée I don’t think I’ve ever made one though. I usually do a lemon cream or curd tart. Or passionfruit. Or I do panna cotta. Orange Brulée sounds really good though. Best Brulé I ever had was in Spokane Washington. The texture was absolutely perfect creamy yet light. But what really stood out was the top caramelized top was so perfect OMG. Not too thin, not too thick That perfect crunch. I was in town for five days for my niece’s wedding. I went to this restaurant every evening just for the Brulée.
Yeah the top wasn't actually particularly thick at all, I thought it was a nice contrast and compliment to the orange cream without being overpowering. It's just that it was a mess to try to make clean slices through without having it crack in all random patterns. However it was my first time bruléeing something (and first time eating something bruléed actually, I don't recall ever having crème brulée before), so maybe that's just inevitable? Perhaps that's why you only see it used when the product is in a mold, e.g. crème brulée, and not on top of other things like cakes or pies.

A passion fruit cream or curd tart sounds wonderful. The Wayne Gisslen baking textbook also has a variation for raspberry-passion fruit crème brulée, which I'd love to try. I don't think I've ever actually tasted passion fruit before either, but it's a flavour I'd really like to bake with. Kinda hard to find though, from a quick google research it seems passion fruit concentrate/pulp/purée aren't super common products here.

Reaction score
Yeah the top wasn't actually particularly thick at all, I thought it was a nice contrast and compliment to the orange cream without being overpowering. It's just that it was a mess to try to make clean slices through without having it crack in all random patterns. However it was my first time bruléeing something (and first time eating something bruléed actually, I don't recall ever having crème brulée before), so maybe that's just inevitable? Perhaps that's why you only see it used when the product is in a mold, e.g. crème brulée, and not on top of other things like cakes or pies.

A passion fruit cream or curd tart sounds wonderful. The Wayne Gisslen baking textbook also has a variation for raspberry-passion fruit crème brulée, which I'd love to try. I don't think I've ever actually tasted passion fruit before either, but it's a flavour I'd really like to bake with. Kinda hard to find though, from a quick google research it seems passion fruit concentrate/pulp/purée aren't super common products here.

Go to the iced tea isle at a supermarket, in the Arizona tea section look for small squeeze bottles of muchomango concentrate.
Its very strong.

You can't slice hard caramel over soft creme, , maybe if you had a lazer ... you'd be better off making individuals.
Or click the link below.

Reaction score

The top is always going to shatter when you cut into it. But you definitely don’t want a really thick top. When it’s too thick The bite is unpleasant. You want it to shatter nicely when you chew it, that light crunchy bite.

maybe make a little individual tartlets. That way you don’t have to worry about cutting into it to serve it

yes passion fruit is difficult to find. We’re very fortunate here in the Napa Valley that we have a company that makes the most extraordinary puréed concentrates for the food industry. They sell directly to the public by mail order. But fortunately there’s two independent grocery stores in town that carry a small selection of their purées. They’re not cheap. But they’re worth the splurge for me when I want to make a special treat But they’re worth the splurge for me when I want to make a special treat. If you have a Mexican grocery store near you check their frozen food section for passion fruit purée.

A couple of the grocery stores in town also carry the fresh passion fruit in season as well. But I prefer the purée concentrate. I use Pierre Herme lemon cream method for the passion fruit. Then use the filling for tarts, cakes, eclairs, and puffs.

The passion fruit is tangy. Somewhat citrusy. It’s very bright. It’s amazing. It’s really my favorite fruit to use for a filling. I make a elderflower lemon chiffon cake Add the passion fruit Cream filling. I ice it with a mascarpone Chantilly whipped cream icing that I stabilize with gelatin sheets. And then I decorate it with fresh berries. That is my signature cake. I developed the recipe for my sister several years ago. She’s crazy about this cake that a grocery store chain makes that is similar to that. I thought I can make a cake like that but better.

Reaction score
Go to the iced tea isle at a supermarket, in the Arizona tea section look for small squeeze bottles of muchomango concentrate.
Its very strong.

You can't slice hard caramel over soft creme, , maybe if you had a lazer ... you'd be better off making individuals.
Or click the link below.

Buying compound flavours is an interesting idea... it's a bit of an investment, but will probably last a home baker forever and won't have to rely on finding other passion fruit flavourings in stores.

Ask a Question