outrageous color boxed cakes

Reaction score
So we got some of the new cake mixes that make the bright and vibrant cakes just to see what they would look and taste like. The cake is very moist, but there is so much food coloring in the mix that our fingers and mouths turned colors when we ate the cake. It was fun but we will not be making them again.

Reaction score
Awww, I wish you could have shown us some pics :( I'd have definitely liked to see those outrageous colored cakes, ehehehe! I personally love the idea of baking a rainbow cake, but it takes a lot coloring, not sure I find that so appealing ;)

Reaction score
I should have taken some pictures for sure. I rarely think to use my camera when it comes to food, but I need to get better at this. The cakes were very good, but the mess was horrible. I don't even want to imagine how much food coloring Betty Crocker used to get the mix to turn out so colorful. It was very strange to eat a bright blue cake and have it taste like vanilla as my mind was expecting blueberry.

Reaction score
Yeah that's kinda ridiculous. I'm all for making cakes into different colors (especially for someone's birthday and stuff) but the amount of dye they put in must be SO high if your mouth/hands turned out the way it did after you guys ate it.

I would even just go as far as buying the boxed vanilla ones and add your own food dye. It would still taste awesome but at least you can control the amount of dye that goes in :)

Reaction score
I'm with Tangela- wacky colours and brightness is all fun and good but who wants SO much dye that you're basically dying yourself to match the cake?? lol. You could just as easily make your own with a lot less dye ;).

Reaction score
I'm with Tangela- wacky colours and brightness is all fun and good but who wants SO much dye that you're basically dying yourself to match the cake?? lol. You could just as easily make your own with a lot less dye ;).
Yeah and can you imagine how bad for you, chemically, the pre-colored cakes must be? Bleh!

Plus that way if you want to make your own colors you can actually pick out different shades instead of just like regular red or regular blue.

Reaction score
So we got some of the new cake mixes that make the bright and vibrant cakes just to see what they would look and taste like. The cake is very moist, but there is so much food coloring in the mix that our fingers and mouths turned colors when we ate the cake. It was fun but we will not be making them again.
We have tried these once too. The kids requested them and after using them and seeing the crazy amounts of food coloring, we will never be buying them again. I'm not a doctor but I am sure this can't possibly be good for anyone!! I think they should take it off the market honestly!!!

Yuck!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Yeah and can you imagine how bad for you, chemically, the pre-colored cakes must be? Bleh!

Plus that way if you want to make your own colors you can actually pick out different shades instead of just like regular red or regular blue.

Ugh yeah, not to even mention that fact. I don't understand how people are *so* obsessed with red velvet even....nevermind the rainbow coloured madness.

& yes, shade control is helpful :D

Reaction score
Ugh yeah, not to even mention that fact. I don't understand how people are *so* obsessed with red velvet even....nevermind the rainbow coloured madness.

& yes, shade control is helpful :D
I never got the obsession about red velvet. Literally like every single time someone's like OMG IT'S SO GOOD HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT, and I eat it I just taste chocolate. That's it. Like what's so special about it? It just looks like a red chocolate cake.

Someone enlighten me please :p

Reaction score
I never got the obsession about red velvet. Literally like every single time someone's like OMG IT'S SO GOOD HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT, and I eat it I just taste chocolate. That's it. Like what's so special about it? It just looks like a red chocolate cake.

Someone enlighten me please :p

Exactly! It tastes like a dense chocolate and a ridiculous amount of artificial red colouring. At least someone gets it! I was starting to think maybe I was just weird about it.

Reaction score
Exactly! It tastes like a dense chocolate and a ridiculous amount of artificial red colouring. At least someone gets it! I was starting to think maybe I was just weird about it.

I'm just glad red velvet isn't so trendy anymore. For a while every time I walked into Walmart they had red velvet cookies, cupcakes, loaf cake, cake roll, not to mention all the red velvet pancake mixes and even red velvet Pop Tarts. I'm glad I can actually shop now without seeing wall to wall red velvet. I would be sick of the bacon trend if bacon wasn't so freaking delicious.

Reaction score
I am with you on the whole red velvet thing, it got old quick. And then there was the whole birthday cake flavored everything that followed. Instead of getting bright colored cake, I much rather get one that is beautifully frosted.

Reaction score
Haha, ACSAPA no kidding! It was like a shrine to red velvet at my grocery store here. And exactly, how can you possibly not enjoy bacon? ;)

Reaction score
I have been debating on buying several of the vibrant cake mixes to make a rainbow cake. The idea is very appealing but the thought of actually dying yourself the color of the cakes is not. It didn't cross my mind that your mouth would be the color of the cake. I'm not sure as how I can un-convince my 7 year old that we shouldn't try them. She's set on making a rainbow.

Reaction score
I saw box and color and got all excited. Then there was talk about all this mess and I was deflated. Color might be all fine and good but who needs the mess. Interestingly enough, I have not seen any around yet. Have they been out a long time? Sometimes it takes a little time before we get certain new things on our shelves here in the Caribbean.

Ask a Question