Oven Fried Chicken

Reaction score
I have mentioned my oven fried chicken and after reading a comment by @Winterybella and the forum topics I realized although it is a baking forum it doesn't really have an are so I'll share here.

The first time I made my chicken, for every 1/2C of flour I added 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp salt, and 3 tsp paprika to a bowl. I used to whisk this together but now I put a lid on the bowl and have my toddler shake it.;) The oven needs to be at 425 degrees according to the original recipe, but my oven (who dies on me yesterday) is a little "weird" (probably signs that it was going to die) so I just preheat it to 400 degrees.

I coat one of those rectangular glass pans in butter. Then in a shallow dish I pour a little bit of the flour mixture and coat the chicken pieces. Sometimes, I'll scoop some up from the bowl with a spoon so that my toddler can sprinkle some of the mixture over it. (Honestly, I let him do this once or twice so that he can help because I worry too much he may touch the raw chicken.) I also sprinkle just a bit of flour mixture in the bowl itself because I like to eat the little toasted pieces after the chicken is baked.:p

Ive always sucked at baking chicken BUT I love this because then all I have to do is leave it for half an hour, flip it, then 15 minutes, turn off the oven, then leave it for like 15 more minutes. BUT, this is because I knew my dearly departed oven well. It took me like two or three times to time it.

So, that's how I ORIGINALLY made it. I used to use Presto flour (which is self-rising flour). But now, since we've changed our eating habits A BIT, I use whole wheat flour sometimes...BECAUSE...I love using corn flour instead (NOT corn meal). I use the Amapola brand to be specific. Same procedure. My partner loves it and he doesnt even like corn flour. First time I made it he comes home and says oh good you made your chicken. I said nothing. As he ate it I asked if he liked it and he said yeah but it tasted a bit different and the texture was a bit different too. I said I did something different and would go back to myoriginal version buthe told me not to because he liked it more. LOL

When I'm out of cornmeal and flour (which is rare but does happen), I'll use crushed Cheerios. Once I used crushed Doritos, but cornmeal is still our favorite.:)

Reaction score
That sounds really good. I don't like the grease of fried chicken, but I do love backed chicken. I have used crushed corn flakes before and that was good, but a little too crispy. It didn't stick to the chicken as well as I would have hoped. Corn flour sounds like it would be wonderful, as I do really like corn products myself.

Reaction score
I LOVE fried chicken. LOL But, after I got pregnant I stayed away from fried foods as much as possible and since fried chicken was my favorite I looked for an alternative and this was it. I love crispy so I may try crushed cornflakes when I can.:)

Reaction score
Omg, what an awesome way to make fried chicken! I love fried chicken, but I don't like the part of frying it, because that always affect my colon badly! Plus all that oil is so bad for the figure...Thanks a lot, I have never felt brave enough to try oven fried chicken, but Iv might give your recipe a try.

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of fried chicken as well despite how bad it is for you. It is a once in a while treat around my house now. I do like the idea of baked fried chicken, so this looks like a good technique for me to try. It is similar to a potato chip baked chicken I sometimes make. We coat the chicken in an egg and milk mixture and then roll it in potato chips before baking it.

Reaction score
My ex-mother-in-law made the very best oven fried chicken. This is her recipe with an addition of mine,, marinating it:

I put some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl Then I toss the chicken pieces in it and let in sit for an hour our so, stiring occasionally. Then I take it out and shake it in:

ground up rice krispies ( I put them in the blender or a food processor)
salt/pepper
garlic and onion powder
paprika

Thent he go on a greased baking dish and I drizzle them with butter with lemon juice in it I put it in the oven at 400 and bake 30-45 min.

It always comes out tender and juicy and my family loves it.

Reaction score
That sounds soo good and easy! I've never tried baking "fried" chicken but it sounds like a method to try :D.

Reaction score
My ex-mother-in-law made the very best oven fried chicken. This is her recipe with an addition of mine,, marinating it:

I put some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl Then I toss the chicken pieces in it and let in sit for an hour our so, stiring occasionally. Then I take it out and shake it in:

salt/pepper
garlic and onion powder
paprika

Thent he go on a greased baking dish and I drizzle them with butter with lemon juice in it I put it in the oven at 400 and bake 30-45 min.

I'm going to save this cause it sounds yummy too. Except I'll skip the lemon. My nose/stomach can't really take anything lemony. LOL

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about lemon because it can be overpowering in a dish. I recently tried lemon grass egg rolls and ended up not eating half of them because it was like I was biting into a lemon each time I took a bite. Lemon does taste good on baked chicken and fish as long as it is added to the dish in extreme moderation. I have also never thought of using Rice Krispies as a breading for things like chicken, but now I have to give this a try.

Reaction score
I LOVE fried chicken. LOL But, after I got pregnant I stayed away from fried foods as much as possible and since fried chicken was my favorite I looked for an alternative and this was it. I love crispy so I may try crushed cornflakes when I can.:)

I am so glad you remembered. I was trying to remember which thread we spoke about it in as I had asked for the recipe and I could not remember where to look. Thanks a million. I love love love fried chicken but I know it's really no good for me. For so long I have been looking at recipes and wondering just how close to fried chicken can bake chicken be. I was not too inclined to try when I had a fail with some tilapia. I used corn meal and flour and the look and taste were not on point.

I always worry if the coating will remain in tact while the meat cooks. I want it to look good and taste good. Your recipe looks like a winner.

Reaction score
I am so glad you remembered. I was trying to remember which thread we spoke about it in as I had asked for the recipe and I could not remember where to look. Thanks a million. I love love love fried chicken but I know it's really no good for me. For so long I have been looking at recipes and wondering just how close to fried chicken can bake chicken be. I was not too inclined to try when I had a fail with some tilapia. I used corn meal and flour and the look and taste were not on point.

I always worry if the coating will remain in tact while the meat cooks. I want it to look good and taste good. Your recipe looks like a winner.
Oh! I had a little trouble with the skin remaining in tact at first. So that's when I started sprinkling some on the buttered pan before placing the chicken in. I also forgot to mention that I start "wrong" side up and when I'm going to flip I use a spatula on the bottom (to scrape just in case) and a fork on top (so my clumsy butt won't flip ir over and out of the pan...and yes it happened at first.) LOL

Reaction score
It does taste yummy, I know for a fact that my children and hubby would enjoy this tremendously as for me I it's plain old bake chicken all the way as I am staying away from the grease.

Reaction score
My ex mother in law used to make the very best oven fried chicken. She would soak the chicken parts in buttermilk for a couple of hours, then dip it in rice krispy crumbs (put in the blender until fine) seasoned with paprika, salt and pepper. Then she drizzled the pieces with melted butter mixed with lemon juice. Into the oven at 400 for about 30 min and it was so good. She liked to serve it with oven baked mac and cheese and green beans. It was one of my husband's favorite meals.

Reaction score
Mmmm, my mouth is watering for some oven baked chicken. My mom used to bread hers in potato chip crumbs and drizzled it with lemon juice. I really need to get the recipe from her so I can make it sometime. The only time I make breaded chicken in the oven is when I am deep frying the large pieces and then stick them in the oven to finish cooking them the rest of the way through. Not the most healthy way to make chicken!

Reaction score
@joycemcgregor I think I may try that buttermilk tip next time. Buttermilk is hard to find around my way but last time I visited a new supermarket I saw they carried it and want to give it a try. :)

Reaction score
@joycemcgregor I think I may try that buttermilk tip next time. Buttermilk is hard to find around my way but last time I visited a new supermarket I saw they carried it and want to give it a try. :)
I rarely ever buy actual buttermilk because it is a waste of money for me. I buy it for one recipe and the rest of the carton ends up going to waste. You can actually make your own buttermilk substitute with vinegar and milk. It is like 3 tablespoons of vinegar for every cup of milk. You can't tell the difference in the food and you can save some money in the process.

Reaction score
I rarely ever buy actual buttermilk because it is a waste of money for me. I buy it for one recipe and the rest of the carton ends up going to waste. You can actually make your own buttermilk substitute with vinegar and milk. It is like 3 tablespoons of vinegar for every cup of milk. You can't tell the difference in the food and you can save some money in the process.
Know what? I tried it but didn't seem to come out right. I was using only 1 tbsp of vinegar so that may have been it. LOL Thanks. Going to try with more next time.

Reaction score

salt/pepper
garlic and onion powder
paprika

Rice krispies?? What kind of rice krispies, I am a bit confused, because over here I have only seen the sweet ones. Are there rice krispies without any sugar? :O

Reaction score
Yeah. Regular Rice Krispies come in a blue box. They aren't sweet.
rice-krispies.jpg

Ask a Question