Oven Mits

Reaction score
I have several oven mits! I have some hanging on my wall, some stuffed in a drawer, and some in a cabinent. I usually get them as ge oven mits around Christmas time from friends who know I love to bake.
I have burned through my fair share of them. (Yes, I really mean I have burned them on accident by bumping the bulky mit on the stove or in the hot oven.)
How many do I really need though? How many should I keep on hand? Do you have a really great brand or suggestion of a fantastic oven mit?

Reaction score
When I got my first apartment, I was on a low budget to furnish and get my life together on my own. As a baker, I obviously needed the essentials before getting into any home-warming recipes! I got a set of pink polka dot oven mitts + pot holders at the dollar store, and honestly, they have worked amazingly for over 3 years now, and only one set out of the 2 sets that I own. What I like about them is that the mitt itself is cloth, but the "palm" or underside is heat-proof rubber. I hadn't seen this before, but I love it because it works double as extra heat resistance as well as grip on hot pans and cookie sheets. I'm not sure if the fancy-pants gourmet retailers make their oven mitts this way, but it really is a genius idea, and if I was to ever recommend an oven mitt (which who would have thought!) I'd recommend getting one that has that silicone padding. Oven mitts do seem like a cute gift idea for the baker in your life, but I agree, how many do you really need?

Reaction score
I try to keep oven mitts and pot holders, but I end up burning them all too. Recently, I started buying bar towels. They are a life saver because I can use one to grab both handles of a hot pot or baking dish. I did see the Rachel Ray pot holders. They are a combination of a towel and a pot holder. I thought I might buy a few of those on my next shopping trip. The dollar store sells oven mitts, but they are poorly made. You can also make your own over mitts, if you can sew. Wal-mart carries different patterns for pot holders and oven mitts. They are very easy to sew. The material is probably cheaper than buying the oven mitts.

Reaction score
I only have two oven mitts. (Yes!) They are thick, durable and green. I have owned them for years.

A couple of years back, I thought about replacing them. But, since they still work, I decided to keep them.

Reaction score
My parents never seem to know what to get me for Christmas (that's another story though LOL) They know that I enjoy baking when I'm having a good day (I have neurological problems) so they always seem to get me kitchen stuff.This year they got me these red oven mits that go halfway up my arm off of Food Network. I think they'd be good for grilling but my kitchen is so small I can barely open my oven. These have worked great for keeping me from getting burnt while I try to wrestle the food out of the oven LOL

Reaction score
I have several oven mits! I have some hanging on my wall, some stuffed in a drawer, and some in a cabinent. I usually get them as ge oven mits around Christmas time from friends who know I love to bake.
I have burned through my fair share of them. (Yes, I really mean I have burned them on accident by bumping the bulky mit on the stove or in the hot oven.)
How many do I really need though? How many should I keep on hand? Do you have a really great brand or suggestion of a fantastic oven mit?

I have a bit of a fetish for tea towels. I usually have about three or four on the go at once. I usually have one on each worktop and one on the cooker top so I can easily put my hand on one wherever I am in the kitchen. It drives my husband bonkers.

Reaction score
I have so many sets of oven mitts. I buy my oven mitts from Walmart or Dollar General. The sets come with towels, pot holders and an oven mitt. I give them as gifts during the holidays.

Reaction score
I love the cute sets you can get from Dollar General. I have a bunch of towels from there. I like taking different ones out for different seasons.

Reaction score
I know some people who don't use oven mitts, preferring to use tea towels, but I love my oven mitts! I think they look super cute and I keep a pair over the oven door and I have a spare pair in a drawer. I like floral patterns and have some nice ones with roses on at the moment.

Reaction score
I can't imagine using anything but an oven mit either espeons. I definitely have both around but feel better using the mit. Glad I'm not alone.

Reaction score
For some strange reason I've always preferred to use towels when removing stuff from the oven. I have pairs of oven mitts hanging in my kitchen, but they were always more or less just for decoration. I always worry about getting sauces and other stuff on them, and staining them, so I never like to actually use them. Plus for some reason I just feel like I have a better grip on what I am grabbing when I am using towels. I've dropped stuff in the past when using oven mitts.

Ask a Question