Over-wet dough

Reaction score
Hi, all.
I'm learning to bake, especially bread and pizza dough. I have a digital scale and follow recipes exactly. Last week I made pizza dough using all-purpose flour and added vital gluten. I measured everything exactly, added the correct amount of H20 and flour, and it was WAY too sticky after the first rise. The YouTuber who posted the recipe said it would be sticky and showed how to use fast, slap and fold motions to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands much, but my dough was so wet that I couldn't even scoop it up. I added some flour knowing that that would change the hydration level but having to do it just to work with the dough. Anyway, after much frustration and overworking the dough, I got a toothy pizza crust with little air and was too dense- edible but not great.

Today, Following a recipe for baguette, after the first rise AGAIN I ended up with a gloppy mess that is unworkable.
Does the brand of all-purpose flour make a difference in hydration? Both recipes said it could be substituted for bread flour, and I do add vital gluten.
Does house humidity make a big difference? I live on the east coast of the U.S. where humidity is always unbearable.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question