overbaked cheesecake

Reaction score
Having a problem with a cheesecake recipe. How do i get my cheesecake less done on the top and more done in the center. The recipe I have calls for baking it at 350 for about an hour. However, when i only bake it for 45 mins., the top is very dark and the center isnt as solid as the outer edge of the cheesecake. Do I lower the temp and bake for longer or vise versa? Do I put it on the lower rack of the oven? It is still a very good tasting cheesecake, but the appearance is that it isnt baked completely. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi,
Try lowering the temperature a bit and place a piece of foil loosely over the top before it starts to brown too much. Also, the cheesecake will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven, so it's ok if the center is still a bit jiggly.
Hope that helps!

Reaction score
I've never had a cheesecake turn out right for me. It seems like everything gets done but the center like you're explaining. I've even tried no bake but its just not the same! Good luck with your cheesecake.

Reaction score
I would cover the top while baking, you also might want to try baking your cheesecake bain -marie style or in a water bath. This will help you cheese cake to stay moist.

Reaction score
I would definitely try lowering the temperature, and covering the top would also be worth a try. You may not need to do it for the whole time, just when it looks like it has enough colour.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :D

Reaction score
I gave up on making cheesecakes because they never turn out right for me either. I just buy them at the bakery where I know they are going to taste good. I hate to be wasteful so I do not make foods that are questionable. I always cover the edges of my pies with tin foil though for at least half of the baking time, so this may help too.

Reaction score
I would definitely lower the temperature you are baking on. Ovens are different, so even though it says certain time and temperature in the recipe, it isn't necessarily accurate.

Ask a Question