Overcoming Challenges of Baking Gluten-Free Products

Reaction score
I've never baked anything gluten-free because my husband and I don't have the gluten-intolerance problem, but my coworker is gluten-free so it makes it hard for me to think about what baked goods to make her sine she has this particular dietary restriction. I've never even tried it but when I look at the recipes it seems like you need so many different types of flours!!!

What are some of the hardest things about baking gluten-free products, and how do you overcome these issues?

Reaction score
I would like to try gluten free baking at some point (and probably cooking in general, as well.) I have noticed the same issue you mentioned, with the different types of flours, as well as other uncommon ingredients. My issue is that I'm on a tight budget, and also don't get out as much as I used to, so obtaining those ingredients can be difficult. I priced almond flour before, which I would love to use, since almonds are a favorite of mine, but the cost was pretty high, so it was out of my budget.

Reaction score
I have a suspected gluten intolerance, so I am currently on a gluten free diet to see if it makes a difference. So I've been doing a lot of gluten free baking over the past few months!

The hardest thing is finding good recipes I think. There are some that I have tried which have been downright awful, and others have been pretty good. There are certain things which you just have to forget about trying to recreate - most breads, for example. Cakes can be pretty good though! I enjoy a challenge so it has been an interesting journey :)

Reaction score
@Becky I hope you feel better with your new gluten free diet!

Some of the best desserts and foods I have tried recently have been gluten free, so it is possible to make some good food without the bad stuff. I find that gluten free food is more crumbly than food made with regular flour because gluten acts sort of like a glue. Many dishes you probably already eat are naturally gluten free and you just don't think about it until you stop to read the ingredients.

Reaction score
I've tried baking gluten free, part curiosity and part because I do have a couple of people in my life who are gluten intolerant. For me it's hard obtaining some of the ingredients (they're not always easy to find at my supermarket so I have to go to specialty health food stores) and the price of them can be exorbitant! Also a lot of the time the consistency of things like almond flour just isn't the smooth texture like normal flour has.

Reaction score
I am usually all over the place with my new found baking skills but because of some concerns with my son's health I was giving consideration to the gluten free recipes. I have this not so bad recollection of a cake mix cookie I tried that was quite good. I am also sure I tried a mug cake that wasn't all that great. When it comes to the different ingredients I am afraid to go through the expense and then be only baking for me and my girls the dogs. I don't think my son ate any of what I tried so far.

Reaction score
I've never baked anything gluten-free because my husband and I don't have the gluten-intolerance problem, but my coworker is gluten-free so it makes it hard for me to think about what baked goods to make her sine she has this particular dietary restriction. I've never even tried it but when I look at the recipes it seems like you need so many different types of flours!!!

What are some of the hardest things about baking gluten-free products, and how do you overcome these issues?

They do sell bags of gluten-free all purpose flour at most grocery stores. Granted they are more expensive but saves you from having to find all the different flours, combine the right amounts, etc.

Reaction score
I hate gluten free baking.

The flours are very expensive, and they do not work nearly as well as regular flour.

Getting the textures right is very difficult. A very common problem, for me, is that stuff comes out gummy in the middle.

Reaction score
What isn't challenging in gluten free bakingo_O I've been able to produce a number of gluten free goods that are indistinguishable from the gluten versions. But many things elude me.

Ask a Question