Pain De Mie

Reaction score
Has anyone made a successful Pain De Mie? (The beautiful rectangular loaves that you make in the lidded pans) I made one for the first one today, following two recipes combined. I used the ingredients for the King Arthur Flour recipe because it was for a 13 inch pan, and I used CIA recipe because of the technique of how to combine the ingredients. Ten minutes into the baking time I heard a loud noise in my oven and when I peeked in i found that the top to the pan had popped off. What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
I confess, I've never baked one of these myself! What caused the top to come off - did the dough push it off or was it air pressure?

Reaction score
I just bought a Pullman loaf pan and made a loaf of Japanese shokupan last night. I wasn’t quite sure how to do the final proof; it turns out that you only let it proof till the dough rises just under the lip. The obvious reason is that if you overproof it, you can’t close the lid without punching the dough down, but I think slightly under-proofing it prevents that first explosive rise in the oven from being too explosive.

My shokupan was delicious.

Reaction score
Has anyone made a successful Pain De Mie? (The beautiful rectangular loaves that you make in the lidded pans) I made one for the first one today, following two recipes combined. I used the ingredients for the King Arthur Flour recipe because it was for a 13 inch pan, and I used CIA recipe because of the technique of how to combine the ingredients. Ten minutes into the baking time I heard a loud noise in my oven and when I peeked in i found that the top to the pan had popped off. What did I do wrong?

When I first read this post I thought the lid was probably not secured properly. But thinking about it more and more I’m beginning to wonder if the mixing method had something to do with it.

How a dough or batter is mixed with effect strength and rise. For instance if you mix a cake batter using the single bowl method the cake will rise a lot less than if the creaming method or chiffon method is used.

In bread, knead time, fermentation, order of adding ingredients, type of yeast, and how yeast is added effects dough strength and rise. In using a different recipe and mixing method, it may have resulted in a lot more oven spring. Oven spring happens the first 10 minutes of baking. So I think it has to do with the mixing method.

Reaction score
When I first read this post I thought the lid was probably not secured properly. But thinking about it more and more I’m beginning to wonder if the mixing method had something to do with it.

How a dough or batter is mixed with effect strength and rise. For instance if you mix a cake batter using the single bowl method the cake will rise a lot less than if the creaming method or chiffon method is used.

In bread, knead time, fermentation, order of adding ingredients, type of yeast, and how yeast is added effects dough strength and rise. In using a different recipe and mixing method, it may have resulted in a lot more oven spring. Oven spring happens the first 10 minutes of baking. So I think it has to do with the mixing method.
This is very helpful. I probably shouldn’t have combined two recipes. I’m looking for a good dense bread to make finger sandwiches. I haven’t gone back to the pans yet. One of them is still good to use, the one that had the top pop off needs to have the top fixed! Luckily, my son is a metal worker...

Reaction score
I just bought a Pullman loaf pan and made a loaf of Japanese shokupan last night. I wasn’t quite sure how to do the final proof; it turns out that you only let it proof till the dough rises just under the lip. The obvious reason is that if you overproof it, you can’t close the lid without punching the dough down, but I think slightly under-proofing it prevents that first explosive rise in the oven from being too explosive.

My shokupan was delicious.
I have read recipes for these breads. They look delicious. However, they are a bit too sweet for my use. I am glad you had success your first time!

Reaction score
This is very helpful. I probably shouldn’t have combined two recipes. I’m looking for a good dense bread to make finger sandwiches. I haven’t gone back to the pans yet. One of them is still good to use, the one that had the top pop off needs to have the top fixed! Luckily, my son is a metal worker...

Finger sandwiches are so delicious. When I was a kid, my grandmother always set out a plate of finger sandwiches on special occasions. I hated bread crust as a kid, so I was always thrilled to see those finger sandwiches. They look so elegant too. Such a nice way to decorate the table.

A shame your pan was damaged. Hope your son is able to repair it. They are expensive pans. I only use my pullman for gluten free bread “experiments.” “Experiments” meaning I’ve yet to create or use a gluten free bread worth eating. The pullman is the only pan in my kitchen that gets babied. After handwashing, I put it in a hot oven to ensure all the moisture evaporates. They are notorious for rusting at the folds and seams.

Ask a Question