"Pastelillos" or "Empanadas"

Reaction score
Hmm, these are fried and filled with many different fillings.

I have had them with guava, guava and white cheese, and mango.

The shells can be bought or made from scratch. It is a flour made recipe. The shell is round. The filling is placed in the middle, then the dough is folded over, and the edges are folded over each other and crimped with a fork.

They get fried in a preheated deep fryer, and take only a couple of minutes to cook.

There are variations of a larger one that people fill with meats, chicken, seafood, and others.

Has anyone tried them?

Reaction score
Well, I have tried both pastelillos and empanadas as two different things.

Pastelillos I haves tasted and tried are more likely small sweet cakes, sort of cup cakes but with a rectangular shape and may come stuffed with jelly, topped with icing and so on.

As for empanadas, those I have tried are triangular pastry either stuffed with salty or sweet fillings.

I have also tried round pastries with the edges folded and crimped as you describe, but in the place where I live these are not called "pastelillos" nor "empanadas" but either tarts, tartalets, or simply small pies.

Reaction score
Well, I have tried both pastelillos and empanadas as two different things.

Pastelillos I haves tasted and tried are more likely small sweet cakes, sort of cup cakes but with a rectangular shape and may come stuffed with jelly, topped with icing and so on.

As for empanadas, those I have tried are triangular pastry either stuffed with salty or sweet fillings.

I have also tried round pastries with the edges folded and crimped as you describe, but in the place where I live these are not called "pastelillos" nor "empanadas" but either tarts, tartalets, or simply small pies.

Pastelillos are the smaller version of what I described. This is the name used in Puerto Rico, Other than cheese, they usually have sweets in them.

Empanadas, is the larger version, these are usually filled with meats, poultry and seafood. This is the name used in Puerto Rico.

The variation you are talking about, What country are they from. I love learning cultural food diversity. I am intrigued as it is the same name. Would be great if you let me know. BTW, they sound delicious too.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Ah yes!

I see now that the names for these baking goods are connected with the geographical location where they are prepared.

I have only found pastelillos in Mexico, and these are small, rectangular sweet cakes with either a filling or topping, a mix of them or none, just the individual size cake.

However I have tried empanadas from Mexico, Argentina and Spain.

In Mexico there are sweet and savory empanadas, the first are mainly stuffed with pineapple, strawberry, or apple marmalade, otherwise with rice pudding or custard.

The salty variety comes mainly with chicken in Mexican mole, a vegetables mix, tuna, or codfish in Vizcaine sauce, this latter probably coming from Spain where these empanadas are very popular along with those made of sardine and seafood.

There is also a variety of sweet empanadas in Spain, but I have only tasted one that comes with Applesauce.

In Argentina the most popular empanadas are made with meat in a spiced tomato sauce, but depending on the region it could be beef, pork, goat, or lamb meat. Some others are simply made with chopped hard eggs and ham.

Very interesting indeed how an empanada can be a different thing in different countries :)

Reaction score
Of the two, I've only tried empanadas, which I only really like if they are made from scratch and fried fresh. The pre-made processed ones can be rather heavy and greasy and give me an upset stomach.

I tried buying the Goya brand empanada wrappers and making them myself in the oven, and that was a disaster. The shells just got dried out and hard and never really puffed up at all and got golden like they do when fried.

Reaction score
Of the two, I've only tried empanadas, which I only really like if they are made from scratch and fried fresh. The pre-made processed ones can be rather heavy and greasy and give me an upset stomach.

I tried buying the Goya brand empanada wrappers and making them myself in the oven, and that was a disaster. The shells just got dried out and hard and never really puffed up at all and got golden like they do when fried.

whenever I make them, I make sure that the oil is very hot. This way, it takes less than a minute to fry them, and they absorb very little oil. I have never tried baking them. The thought did not cross my mind. I guess certain foods that were invented to be fried, do not have an alternative cooking method.

Reaction score
Empanadas are basically a hand pie? I've never had one before, I guess the closest I've come to one is a Hostess fruit pie! I would love to try to make and taste one. Anyone have any good recipes?

Reaction score
I've had empanadas but I've always had them as more of a savory dish- with seafood, chicken, other meats...not so much as a desert or anything sweet like that. I've never had pastelillos though I would definitely try them. Any recipes to share?

Ask a Question