Pastries without butter or lard?

Discussion in 'Pastry' started by Lacey, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any pastry recipes that don't use butter or fat in them. I was wondering if there was some sort of substitute like yogurt or anything. I am just curious as we are trying to eat a little healthier but can't give up our delicious pastries for breakfast and desserts.

Lacey, Feb 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Lacey

Becky Well-Known Member

Filo pastry is low in fat, although I wouldn't recommend making it from scratch as it's very difficult!

Becky, Mar 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Lacey

LisaD Member

This is a great question Lacey that I have wondered myself. To make a pastry the dough forms with the thick lard or butter so I wonder if one could thicken up a greek yogurt if this will work in it. I will have to test this idea out and see what happens. I will let you know what I come up with soon!

LisaD, Apr 4, 2014
  4. Lacey

NThomas Well-Known Member

I have heard about pastry recipes that use cocoanut oil in place of butter or lard , I have never tried any of them any I don't know how well they would work.

NThomas, Apr 5, 2014
  5. Lacey

sweetkymom Well-Known Member

This is a interesting question as I've wondered the same thing. I've looked up some recipes that don't contain butter and/or oil and the product is so flat as if there's nothing there! There's got to be a substitute!

sweetkymom, Apr 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question