Pate a choux revisited

Discussion in 'Pastry' started by Norcalbaker59, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Norcalbaker59

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

I’m overdue to host, having said I would hold the next luncheon for my group of friends in April and May. So I’m trying to get a menu together.

Thought something with pate a choux would be nice, so I thought I’d better test my recipe.

That test turned into 8! Pate a choux is beyond fickleo_O But I think I finally tamed the beast enough that I’ll be able to pull off both a savory Appetizer and a dessert using the pa appetizer and a dessert using the pate a choux.

I’m thinking of a salmon mousse or crab salad puff appetizer and a classic eclair for dessert.

Craquelin topped puff
    11A1A154-1313-4ECD-9DE4-05E6B3FA6AC0.jpeg

75DEF1B8-5EA9-4A69-8B86-CDE0B44919FA.jpeg

Norcalbaker59, Jun 19, 2018
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Norcalbaker59

Becky Well-Known Member

Ooh they look great! I've still never attempted to make choux pastry, I'm kinda in a catch-22 with it - it seems like a lot of effort to go to for just us, but I wouldn't want to attempt it before we've got people round in case it goes wrong :rolleyes:

Probably should just quick over thinking it and just have a go one day!

Becky, Jun 19, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Norcalbaker59

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Lol yes gotta keep the company out when we experiment! Although it seems complicated, The process is pretty fast. What’s frustrating is getting the right texture. That elusive crispy exterior and hollow center. Most recipes call for a combination of milk and water. The added fat in milk makes for a softer baked choux. I’m finding I prefer water. But I’m going to experiment with skim milk and water.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 19, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  4. Norcalbaker59

Becky Well-Known Member

Ah ok, that's interesting to know. I enjoy crisp, light choux pastry - probably because I view it as a vessel for the filling :D

Hope your experiements go well :)

Becky, Jun 20, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question