Peanut Butter Pet Danger Warning

Reaction score
Xylitol in peanut butter? Who would have thought. I have only bought Adams peanut butter or the peanut butter that is fresh ground right into your container at the store, so I haven't even read the ingredients list of any other brands in many years. I don't understand why peanut butter should be sweetened in the first place. If you want sweet peanut butter, add sugar to taste when you are using it. This is ridiculous and potentially a serious problem for people as well as pets as people often use peanut butter for its oils and proteins to balance the carbs in their meal or snack. I am not sure what the effects of xylitol really are on humans, or even if it is truly natural.

Reaction score
Oh wow, thanks for sharing that! The current brand of Peanut Butter I use thankfully doesn't contain xylitol but I appreciate the information - I often bake dog cookies and part of the recipe does include peanut butter.

Like DancingLady above me I don't really understand why they would need to sweeten PB - I think it's unnecessary! So many artificial things are just added into foods these days, it really does make me consider what is in a lot of foods...I think I'll need to check the ingredient list of a lot of things more closely!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, it's amazing the kind of junk they had to our foods... I will definitely keep an eye on the peanut butter jars I buy now on! I had no idea this ingredient was so toxic! It is so hard to pronounce! I hope I remember it, this is why I kinda hate processed foods so loaded of junk, loaded of sugar to make us addicted and come back for more.

Reaction score
Oh wow, thanks for sharing that! The current brand of Peanut Butter I use thankfully doesn't contain xylitol but I appreciate the information - I often bake dog cookies and part of the recipe does include peanut butter.

Like DancingLady above me I don't really understand why they would need to sweeten PB - I think it's unnecessary! So many artificial things are just added into foods these days, it really does make me consider what is in a lot of foods...I think I'll need to check the ingredient list of a lot of things more closely!

I agree, there's no need to sweeten it, and if someone wants sweeter peanut butter, there are varieties with honey, which is what I recently discovered, and it's heavenly.

It's also important to note that several dogs have died from ingesting (accidentally) sugar-free gum containing Xylitol. We all know some dogs are mischievous and will get into all sort of things, such as purses, which often contain gum, so it's best if you do use sugarless gum containing Xylitol, to keep it secured in a closet or other location, where dogs will not be able to get a hold of it.

@Trellum Supposedly it's safe for humans, but not dogs. Dogs are sweet enough, and don't need any added sweeteners ;).

Ask a Question