Peanut Free Cake Pops

Reaction score
Hi! Any input is appreciated if anyone has any experience.

I have to make some cake pops for a school (I believe it’s middle school age) and I was asked to do them peanut/tree nut free. I never had to worry about this so getting what I usually use was always not an issue.

So far I have got Cherrybrook Kitchen cake mix, Festival sprinkles, and ordered Merckens candy melts (coating wafers). They all state they are nut free but I just want to be sure if anyone out there has used these brands for this purpose.

Just to add - I have been making cake pops for a few years now and my method is not traditonal cake crumble/icing mixture. I use regular cake mix with the baby cakes maker.

Thank you!

Reaction score
@Chrissy1133
In the US, the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) mandates all foods sold in the US be properly labeled with 8 major food groups known to cause 90% of food allergies. It also covers cross contact/contamination from facilities and equipment.

Using ingredients labeled allergen free does not ensure allergen free food.

Your equipment and kitchen must also be designated allergen free for the cake pops to be considered allergen free.

Since cross contact/contamination can cause severe anaphylactic shock, including death, the law requires all foods that are NOT produced in a designated allergen free kitchen be clearly labeled as being produced in a kitchen using equipment that is used to produce foods with the known allergens.

According to the FDA, food allergies kill an estimated 150 people in the US each year. Of the 150 who are killed by food allergies, an estimated 50% of the deaths are a result of peanut allergies. So the health risks are both real and serious—as is your legal liability as the baker.

If the individual needs allergen free cake pops, they should be purchasing them from a designated allergen free bakery, not a home baker who is neither trained or equipped to produce allergen free food.

Ask a Question