Pear dessert

Reaction score
Hello!
So currently I'm working in a pear semi freddo but so far I haven't find a good recipe, anything I try (even pear mousse) is flavorless. I mean is good but never tastes like pear. Any advice to how to make the flavor come up? Because it needs to be pear dessert and gluten free and idk what other options I have :(. I will leave you guys the recipe I just tried (just the mousse) but it doesn't taste like pear AT ALL ( is still yummy tho but not hat I'm looking for)

https://www.meilleurduchef.com/en/recipe/pear-mousse-yule-log.html

Reaction score
Hello!
So currently I'm working in a pear semi freddo but so far I haven't find a good recipe, anything I try (even pear mousse) is flavorless. I mean is good but never tastes like pear. Any advice to how to make the flavor come up? Because it needs to be pear dessert and gluten free and idk what other options I have :(. I will leave you guys the recipe I just tried (just the mousse) but it doesn't taste like pear AT ALL ( is still yummy tho but not hat I'm looking for)

https://www.meilleurduchef.com/en/recipe/pear-mousse-yule-log.html

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here, but fruit flavor simply doesn’t come through in most applications.

Pear has a delicate flavor to begin with. It’s flavor is easily lost when it’s not basic and simple.

The temperature of food also greatly effects our ability to taste and what we taste. Frozen, ice cream tastes delicious and balanced; melted, it will be way too sweet to eat. The cold actually reduces our ability to taste the sugar.

Chilled cake won’t have any flavor. Bring it to room temperature and all the flavors are detectable.

Unfortunately, fruit needs to be room temperature or warmer for the flavor to be detected. Pear is definitely one of those fruits that is best served warm and as close to whole as possible.

The food industry actually uses high quality flavorings and concentrated commercial purées to achieve fruit flavor. Even though the actual fruit is used, it’s almost always supplemented with a commercial grade flavoring.

These products are not readily available to home baker as they are formulated and packaged for the food service industry.

But you can purchase better quality flavorings at Olivenation. They sell just about every flavor under the sun. But be aware that flavors do not always translate well in extracts. Some can taste very artificial.

For commercial quality purées go to Perfect Purée. They supply restaurants and bakeries, but sell to the public. Some of their purees are double concentrated, so a little goes a long way. However, depending on your location and weather conditions, they will not ship if there is a risk of their product being exposed to temperatures that destroy its quality.

The other drawback is these products can be pricey. Plus there’s shipping costs.

This blogger does good gluten free

https://bojongourmet.com/2016/10/blackberry-pear-ginger-crisp-gluten-free/

Reaction score
Agreed, you're never going to get a strong natural flavour from pear, especially when it's cold. You could maybe try reducing the puree so that it's more concentrated, but I don't know whether this would help enough. From my experience, pear tastes more like pear when it's cooked into hot desserts.

Ask a Question