Pecan Pie Disaster

Reaction score
One Day, I was making a pecan pie for a friend and added all my ingredients. I went to take the pie out the oven and let it set for about 2 hours, then went to cut it and it was not done in the middle. I was so embarrassed about it and I had to bake another one at no charge. I think it was my eggs.

Reaction score
I have had the same trouble with pecan pie. My favorite recipe suggests 1 cup corn syrup as well as 2/3 cup sugar. I do not think the sugar can be substituted as it helps to solidify the pie. It is a delicious but temperamental pie and so the next time I am thinking of trying was of the similar but alternative recipes which suggest Maple syrup for corn, peanuts or other nuts instead of pecan, and one even suggests coconut oatmeal instead of the pecans. I don't think its the pecans fault but I'm thinking the coconut and oatmeal will absorb the liquid better. Also, my book suggests when checking for doneness, to gently shake the pie. If the liquid area in the center is smaller than a quarter, the pie is done.

Reaction score
A friend just brought over a lemon meringue pie that she worked really hard on and it swam all over our plates! I just thought I would add that to your disaster with the liquid fillings of pie. The next day it was a little better but she said she had it in the refrigerator for hours before brining it over so I don't know what the problem was.

Reaction score
Sounds like the custard didn't set. It all depends on the recipe and how she cooked the custard, so I couldn't really say. I would bet anything it's them sneaky eggs o_O

I've never actually made a pecan pie before, but shaking before pulling it out of the oven sounds like really good advice.

Ask a Question