Peppernuts - A German Cookie

Reaction score
Peppernuts are my favorite Christmas cookie! Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mom would make them and taught me how. We had so much fun rolling out the roped dough and cutting it into little pieces, while listening to Christmas music.
Here is my favorite recipe:

Peppernuts:
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Syrup
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Lard (we always replace lard with butter)
1/2 C Cream
1.2 ts. Soda
1/2 ts. Baking Powder
1/4 ts. Salt
4 C Flour
Spices: 1/2 ts. each: Cinnamon, cloves, mace, anise oil, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamon.
Cream sugar, syrup, baking powder, salt and spices, stir flour and chill.
Shape into 1.2 inch ropes and slice ropes every 1.2 inch and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
I've never had this type of cookie before, but it sounds interesting...I might adapt the recipe a little and give it a try :). Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I have tried these and they are super yummy. My grandma in law was Germany and she made Germany cookies all the time during the holidays. She just passed away a couple months ago and I will miss her baking dearly.

Reaction score
Those sound fabulous. My new flatmate is German and she just broke up with her boyfriend, which is ruining her festive spirit. I think I'll whip up a batch of these to cheer her up!

Ask a Question